Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I Love Being Tan But Im Scared Ill Get Skin Cancer When Im Older?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby Ludo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:11 pm

There's no way for anyone to know for sure if you will or won't get skin cancer. I'm assuming you're white, so your chances of getting basal cell cancer is around 30%. Squamous cell carcinoma is about 4 times less likely, or just under 8%. That may seem like a high statistic, but basal and squamous cell cancers are extremely curable, since they rarely metastasize. Melanoma, on the other hand, is much more sinister. Still, your chances of getting melanoma are under 2%, and if you tan easily and tend not to burn or freckle, your chances are significantly lower. They're lower still if you don't have a family history of melanoma or have darker hair and eyes. This is true for all skin cancers, actually.

Even if you did get melanoma though, the overall 5-year survival rate is close to 90%. This is because melanoma's tend to be nasty looking, clearly distinguishable from benign moles, even at early stages, so only surgery is usually needed. Nodular melanomas are more aggressive and tend to look more benign though (though they're rare, especially in women), so it's always important to be vigilant and look for any changes in your moles or new ones that pop up. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a regular dermatologist and get checked up at least once a year.

I wouldn't worry though, if you tan that easily and don't burn, although it is always better to be safe than sorry.
Ludo

Postby Wingate » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:16 pm

You are lucky you TAN! I have been burnt to a crisp for the past 30 years, and I am fine. You have nothing to worry about.
Wingate

Postby Ryn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:17 pm

If you have skin you are at risk for skin cancer.
Ryn

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer