Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I Think I May Have Been Exposed To Asbestos, What Is The Likeliness?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Postby Deangelo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:00 am

I work in a golf club and me and my friend were in the larder and noticed the textured ceiling was flaking. So that health and safety would not give us a bad report we decide to chip away at it and repaint the ceiling. Underneath the textured ceiling was plasterboard.

Well I had no idea that they used asbestos in these kinds of ceilings, no one told us or warned us about it and we just chipped away. I definitely inhaled some and am now panicking about it.

What is the likeliness that this contained asbestos. It flaked away like paint but was really thick.
Deangelo

Postby Vernon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:08 am

If you are in the UK then any asbestos present must be labelled and all staff told where it is.
Check with the manager if there is an asbestos register for the building.
If the building was built after 1990 there will be no asbestos as it was banned for use as a building material in 1989.

From one exposure there would be very little risk in any case but it is unlikely that it was asbestos.
Vernon

Postby burk » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:24 am

I work in a golf club and me and my friend were in the larder and noticed the textured ceiling was flaking. So that health and safety would not give us a bad report we decide to chip away at it and repaint the ceiling. Underneath the textured ceiling was plasterboard.

Well I had no idea that they used asbestos in these kinds of ceilings, no one told us or warned us about it and we just chipped away. I definitely inhaled some and am now panicking about it.

What is the likeliness that this contained asbestos. It flaked away like paint but was really thick.
burk

Postby Hewitt » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 am

Asbestos related diseases are associated with long on-going exposures to asbestos, so it would be very unlikely that you would suffer any adverse effects following a single exposure to asbestos.

To put your mind at rest, ask the manager if the building has been checked for asbestos; you have the right to be protected.
Hewitt

Return to Mesothelioma Forum