Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Exposed To Asbestos By Removing Floor Tiles--what Is My Risk?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Postby Kealan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:05 am

I have an idiot friend who asked me to help him remove an old floor, which he assured me did not contain asbestos.
I was removing 9" square vinyl tiles as well as three layers of linoleum flooring, and was cautious at first, but did not see any sort of dust going airborne.
I used a floor chisel and hammer, and most tiles broke into several pieces.
I was wearing a paper mask (though I doubt that helps) and was in the room for approximately 2 1/2 hrs.
The house was built in the 1930s.

After doing research I am afraid I may have been exposed to asbestos.
I am trying to determine what kind of exposure and risk I face.

I am also very concerned that I may have exposed others to asbestos on my clothing.
Would riding in someone's car after the exposure listed above pose a significant risk to them?

Has showering removed any additional risk to myself and others?

Aforementioned idiot had removed previous layers of flooring with a circular saw, and was exposed for approximately 16-18 hrs. with no mask of any sort.

Are there any immediate symptoms of asbestos exposure, or is there any way to determine exposure levels?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Kealan

Postby jermane » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:09 am

Yes, there was a risk associated with this, IF, BIG IF, it was asbestos.
Actually, it was the linoleum that was more likely to have asbestos than the floor tile and present the bigger risk.
Your risk will not be great for a one off removal.
Yes, washing you and the clothes will reduce the risk.
There are no immediate symptoms and nothing will occur for 10-40 years after exposure.
The dusk mask helped very little and may actually make things worse.
So at this point, there is really nothing you can do other than realize the risk is much less than many other things in your life and not worry about it.
You are still at a bigger risk of getting hit by lightning.
jermane

Postby Filippio » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:12 am

From a retired floor layer This factor has been so over blown its pitiful, I used to artwork with asbestos tile at one time and the glue,(black decrease decrease back), you may could desire to continuously be uncovered to the stuff for over two decades plus for any accessible result. Political correctness has brought about businesses to pop us with them utilising area suits to tug the stuff up, please, provide me a ruin. No, you will survive.
Filippio

Postby Aliceson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:20 am

I removed asbestos stuff when I was younger (my dad forced us into slave labor like many contractors) and nothing ever happeend to me. Im 36.
Aliceson

Return to Mesothelioma Forum