Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I Might Have Been Exposed To Abspestos Insulation For Ten Mins. Do I Need To Head To The Hospital?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

I Might Have Been Exposed To Abspestos Insulation For Ten Mins. Do I Need To Head To The Hospital?

Postby Seymour » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:10 am

Heres what happened. I am a 22 year old female.

I have had a sore throat since tuesday morning. I now have strep throat, or what feels like strep throat/the flu. I am weak, always tired, and my throat hurts. Ive been lazing around home and bed since tuesday.

On tuesday afternoon I actually didnt feel too bad. I just had a sore throat a little bit.

My boyfriends house has been so hot and so he went in the attic and realized the insulation was not installed properly, and it needed to be pulled back to allow ventilation. So he asked if I could help him and I did. We were up there for approx ten mins and couldnt stand the heat anymore and the dust. We didnt have masks on while we were up there.

He started looking at the binder he got when he bought the house and there was a panflet about abspestos. and some of the insulation up there looked a lot like what the picture showed.

Now I am really really scared. My dad said it causes cancer and can make you very sick, We were up there for 10 mins but he said it doesnt matter. I was coughing up there a lot from the dust.

My boyfriend on the other hand says it takes a lot of exposure to get sick from it.

What should I do? I am really scared and I dont know if its all in the head but my chest did feel a little tight and my breathing a little different.
Seymour

Postby Alfonzo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 am

the effects and I don't think there will be any is 25 years down the road
Alfonzo

Postby kentrell » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:15 am

Doctors can't clean your lungs out so don't waste your time and money. Unless you have a fever then your throat may be sore due to asbestos but there's about 10k% more chance that it was simply fiberglass. Asbestos in attic insulation is most often found in vermiculite and that probably would not have blocked the ventilation to begin with.
kentrell

Postby Cynbel » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 am

Your feeling bad is not from asbestos.
It could be from the dust in general.
Asbestos does not cause immediate symptoms.
The fibers if breathed in get caught in the lungs.
You body can not get rid of them but they cause irritation and in some cases eventually cancer.
Most cases of lung cancer from asbestos do not appear for several years after exposure.
There is nothing a doctor can do if you did in fact breath asbestos.
The time that you were exposed has very little to do with wheather you will have problems later.
It has more to do with the amount of asbesos you breathed in.
The first thing to do is to determine if the insulation that you were working with actually contains asbestos.
That may calm your fears.
The lesson here is, first don't mess with stuff you are not sure of and second always wear protective gear like a dust mask.
If you smoke, stop now.
People who smoke are already at risk for lung disease.
Cynbel

Return to Mesothelioma Forum