Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Has Any One Had Family That Has A Lung Removed Because Of Cancer As I Am Going To Be Operated On This Month?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Has Any One Had Family That Has A Lung Removed Because Of Cancer As I Am Going To Be Operated On This Month?

Postby Cedrych » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:11 pm

Most people with lung cancer do not need the entire lung removed and undergo a lobectomy. However mesothelioma is not your typical lung cancer and does not arise from the lung, but from the pleural around the lung. In early stage disease if all of the tumor cannot be removed without removing the lung then they will do a pneumonectomy. The best chance for cure is to do an extrapleural pneumonectomy. This is a very extensive surgery and should only be carried out by surgeons with great expertise in evaluating patients and performing the procedure itself. Best wishes I hope everything goes well for you.
Cedrych

Postby Keon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:16 pm

I knew a man many years ago that had lung cancer and had a lung removed. He lived to an older age, not sure how old. I lost touch with him after I moved away, but he was older when I knew him.
Keon

Postby Deven » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:17 pm

My uncle had a whole lung removed on his left side and my mother had the upper left lobe removed. we were told both had types related to smoking.my mother had her surgery at 82 she is still living at almost 88 yrs. My uncle lived several yrs and past away due to other reasons.Hope all goes well for you.
Deven

Return to Mesothelioma Forum