Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Do You Believe Guys With Prostate Cancer Get Treated Different Then A Women With Breast Or Ovarian Cancer ?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Do You Believe Guys With Prostate Cancer Get Treated Different Then A Women With Breast Or Ovarian Cancer ?

Postby Tayler » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Any type of caner is serious, But why is it that there's charities for women with breast cancer and ovarian cancer even walks to rise money ect? But when a guy gets prostate cancer you hardly hear about a community raising money? To me that may sound sexiest but its true.
And no I don't have PC nor has any male member of my family.
Tayler

Postby Marquez » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:38 pm

In Alaska we raise money for prostrate cancer.
I am a woman and you are right that it needs more attention.
I have a blue magnet ribbon on my fridge for prostrate cancer too.
Our grocery store has donation jar for that too.
I agree with you the public needs to think about MEN too!
Marquez

Postby jonatan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Ect is not a word. It's "etc." which is short for "et cetera".

The reason breast cancer gets a lot of attention is because a lot of people get it, and breast cancer advocates have worked really hard to get it treated more seriously. When they started advocacy work, there wasn't really even a doctor whose specialty was to check for it--it fell through the cracks between gynecologist and internist. They didn't routinely test for it or do a lot of research for it. And it typically kills at a younger age than prostate cancer does.
Prostate cancer needs to get more attention, but for some reason men just aren't getting out there and advocating for it. They should. The percentage of men who get it is crazy high. They should be figuring out why and how to prevent it. Ovarian cancer doesn't get that much attention or funding. I'm an ovarian cancer advocate, so I know this first hand. It was a huge battle just to get docs to recognize that ovarian cancer has symptoms.
jonatan

Postby Wigman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:41 pm

Your question has nothing to do with the statement below it.

Both men and women get breast cancer and both are treated EXACTLY the same way.

How cancer is treated is based on disease not gender.

As far as fund raising is concerned. You are welcome to start an organization for prostate cancer and do all the fund raising you want just as the organizations do for breast cancer and ovarian cancer. These organizations were started by everyday people to felt passionate about the disease it has nothing to do with sexism.

I live in Los Angeles and the local hospitals here do free prostate screenings once a year. I know of none that do free breast cancer screenings.

The risk of getting breast cancer is 1 in 8 in a woman?s lifetime. The risk of death is 1 in 28.

The risk of getting prostate cancer is 1 in 6 in a man?s lifetime. The risk of death is 1 in 34.

We have about 23,500 new cases of ovarian cancer diagnosed each year and about 14,000 deaths due to the disease and some of those are teenagers. Teenagers do not get prostate cancer and our survival rates for ovarian cancer have not changed in 30 years. The same cannot be said for either breast or prostate cancer.

There is something seriously wrong if you feel fund raising and money should be spent based on gender.

BTW many men when diagonsed with prostate cancer choose not to be treated for several years. Patients with breast or ovarian cancers do not have that option.
Wigman

Postby Donovan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Any type of caner is serious, But why is it that there's charities for women with breast cancer and ovarian cancer even walks to rise money ect? But when a guy gets prostate cancer you hardly hear about a community raising money? To me that may sound sexiest but its true.
And no I don't have PC nor has any male member of my family.
Donovan

Postby Covyll » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Any cancer is not fun... been there done that.
We do have a major cancer research center in my hometown so the word on prostate cancer is out there.
Now, to the best of my understanding... in older white males, prostate cancer is generally slow growing and often a wait and watch approach is used.
This is not the case with black males where I believe PC is more aggressive.
The five year survival rate for PC is 100%, 10 year is around 91.
Now with breast cancer, the 5 year survival rate is about 85% and remember it can affect men and women!

Also, the treatment for prostate cancer is not as debilitating as some other cancers so for an individual family experiencing the treatment of radiation/brachytherapy is not going to have the patient out of work for months as they would be with say 4 or more months of chemo and another 5 weeks of radiation with breast and other cancers.
So there is not the financial strain on the family during the treatment.
Even something like thyroid cancer... total thyroidectomy and a week of brachytherapy, calcium and hormone therapy is pretty tame treatment compared to other cancers and it affects both men and women, but you don't hear a lot about it... probably because it isn't as rigorous a treatment plan.

I also think women are more likely to open up and share when it comes to something like breast cancer than men would about prostate.
The Komen walk was organized as a tribute to a sister that died of breast cancer.
ACS has its relay for life which recognises all types of cancer.
And who knows, maybe someday someone will organize a prostate walk in memorial but wouldn't it be nice if they found a cure before it came to that.
Covyll

Postby Wahanassatta » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:52 pm

I agree with the ladies on here. The breast cancer people have developed a pretty excellent marketing campaign. However, I also think there are some other reasons. I don't think men consider themselves a group in and of themselves. Therefore, issues that only affect men often don't develop highly successful organizations. Women tend to see themselves as a group. Therefore when there is an issue which affects them, they band together to solve it. Also, men tend to be really stupid about there health. There is almost a feeling that men "deserve" to die from cancer because they refuse to see the doctor. My mother died of breast cancer last year. My father died of colon cancer this year. A couple years back I had polyps removed at age 22. In the back of my mind, I believe my dad would still be alive if he hadn't been such a tough guy.
Wahanassatta

Postby Thorn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Wow. I really never thought of it. But I just looked it up and found something that said the # of men that die from prostate cancer each year is close to the # of women that die from breast cancer. I think it may have something to do with the female mind. They find out a friend or family member has something that they could end up with and they fight for female kind. But men don't generally rally as much as women. I think more needs to be done for ALL types of cancer. My mother just died from Ovarian Cancer. And throughout the whole process I was sickened by how few people knew anything about Ovarian Cancer. All the attention goes to Breast Cancer and its simply because its more common. All cancers should get that much support and research.
Thorn

Return to Ovarian Cancer