Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Wife's Doctor Told Her That She's As Good As Worm Food?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby Neddie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:10 am

My wife was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer six months ago and, so far, hasn't been responding positively to treatment. When we pressed my wife's oncologist for a realistic prognosis, he responded bluntly, "You're as good as worm food".

What kind of monster would say that to a cancer patient?

Needless to say, my wife was completely crushed. She hasn't left the house in days, and outright refuses to consider any other treatment options. She seems resigned to just lay in bed and die...

Can I get the doctor into any trouble for saying something so cruel? How could I prove that he said it?

More importantly, how can I get my wife out of this emotional funk? Thanks and God bless.
Neddie

Postby dallan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:11 am

call the cancer treatment of America they are the best of the best and they never give up you can also go to there website to get more info.

There website is : http://www.cancercenter.com/contact-us.cfm

Phone is : 800-931-9299

Good luck and don't give up
dallan

Postby Tormod » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:13 am

Wow.

I honestly cant imagine ANY doctor saying that to anyone.
Tormod

Postby Melbourne » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:14 am

You can make a complaint with the medical board or the hospital.
Although, (even though he was rude and inappropriate) pancreatic cancer is one of the most fatal...
Melbourne

Postby Lok » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:20 am

basically approximately as incompetent as my spouse's scientific expert who refused to respond to her enquiry as to if she became dying (and he or she did in 2003 of belly maximum cancers which he in no way clinically determined). even in the adventure that your scientific expert became particularly blunt, there became no ambiguity interior the message. If she has no longer been responding to scientific care, then the only difficulty which could substitute the consequence is her very own theory that she will survive. My brother-in-regulation became given 6 months yet finished basically approximately 2 years. He became saved going by the being pregnant of his daughter's-in-regulation who grew to become pregnant so as that he might a minimum of understand that grandchildren have been on the way. He lived to work out them born and play with them. All i will recommend, is that your spouse think of and act honestly.
Lok

Postby Hrapenly » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:23 am

Report them to the ethics board and then sue for emotional distress.
Hrapenly

Postby Earie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:28 am

I'm sorry, you are not being truthful. If you are being honest, then unblock your contacts and your q&a and we can see for ourselves.

Yeah, that's just what I thought...still private.
Earie

Postby Duffy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:29 am

Wow! That was rude, nasty and unprofessional.
I have never heard or seen a doctor act this way. She should change oncologist. You can file complaints with the medical board in your state and with the hospital. Her prognosis should have been discussed with her before treatment began this is the only way an informed decision can be made. You should know less than 20$ of pancreatic cancer patients survive the first year and less than 3% survive 5 years. I am very sorry and I am sorry her doctor has made this worse for her.

EDIT: I am so bothered by your question. Please tell your wife not to let this jerk take a single thought in her pretty head he is so not worth it. I have been in the medical field over 25 years. I work with many doctors at several hospitals and I was married to a doctor and know many personally. I have never once heard a physician speak this way to or about a patient in any setting. In general oncologists are usually the most caring and compassionate of all specialties. You may also call the American Cancer Society for a referral for counseling, legal avenues or anything you or your wife may need. They have information about anything and everything cancer related. Best wishes to you both.
Duffy

Return to Pancreatic Cancer