Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why Doesn't My Family Accept My Refusal Of Cancer Treatment?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby weston » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:54 pm

I'm 41 years old and I've recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer means certain death, there's no treatment whatsoever. If I got treatment I would live what, an extra 2 months at most? And certainly with terrible quality of life.

I'm single, never been married and I have no children, so there isn't really anyone dependent on me. This way I have about 3 months left to sort out some legal issues, say goodbye to people and peacefully go away.

However, my brother called me yesterday in tears, saying that I should reconsider, that no matter how small the chance of survival is, I should always try treatment.

Why don't they accept this is the best for me?
weston

Postby Eamonn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Although you may not see it, your family loves you and want to spend more time with you and although you feel that it is your time to go, your family feels as if it is your chance to fight. And if I were you, even though you don't have any dependents, you do have a family who cares and loves you and You should fight until death no matter what.
Eamonn

Postby Nerve » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:02 am

This sort of things occur all the time.

Treatment should ALWAYS be up to the patient unless they are either too young to make the decision or are in some way mentally incapacitated.

In this case, rather than tell your family you are refusing treatment, perhaps you could say that after discussing the options with your oncologist you have chosen what appears to be the best treatment option in your case?

Perfecctly true, but without you needing to put up with them convincing you to undergo treatment you have decided has more negative than positive effects.

Goodluck.
Nerve

Postby Coyne » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:03 am

Who said it would be peaceful? My Mother in Law died of Pancreas Cancer without treatment. It was not a pretty sight. Your brother is correct....Contact Cancer Centers of America, before giving up on yourself.
http://www.cancercenter.com/pancreatic-c...
Coyne

Postby Bink » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:04 am

Although pancreatic cancer is very aggressive you should still try to save yourself. Be-live me cancer death is not peaceful any thing but. Talk your doctors they will be able to help you make a good decision.
Bink

Postby Chetan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:06 am

Consider the nonsurgical treatments, such as radiation, that would provide you some comfort.
Surgery is used to open the bile passages and de-bulk the tumor, so it would lessen pain.
You should be open to making your days comfortable, too.
A tube, or line, for IV use would make it possible to get pain medicine easily.
There are different kinds of these, one such is a porta-cath.
Chetan

Postby Harrod » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:09 am

My coworker was diagnosed a year and a half ago with pancreatic cancer.
He was given the same grim diagnosis.
He chose to treat aggressively with chemo and radiation.
He comes to work.
He goes home to his family. He has a life.
He's not cured and he's going to die but he's lived a lot since he chose to fight and he has more time left.
Your family thinks your life is worth fighting for.
Try listening to them.
Harrod

Postby Beag » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:13 am

I'm having a hard time understanding why someone with terminal cancer joins this forum (yesterday), with a hidden profile and private q&a page, just to ask this type of question. But, to answer..... you're a grown up and they have to accept your refusal whether they want to or not. What pancreatic cancer were you diagnosed with?
Beag

Return to Pancreatic Cancer