Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Is Pancreatic Cancer Diagnosis In A 28 Yr. Old Male A Death Sentence?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby Apiatan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:36 pm

The five year survival rate is only 4%, and the one year survival rate is under 20%. By the time pancreatic cancer is diagnosed it has usually started to spread, and is inoperable.

My mother was diagnosed 2 months ago, and was given 2-3 months to live. She is now at the 2 month mark. She has lost well over 30% of her body weight, and is not long for this world. She weighs 56 lbs.

In a younger person the Dr might opt to do chemo. This might add on some time, but I don't know if it would be quality time or not.

In rare cases where the cancer is caught early ( usually by accident) there is a surgery called a whipple that can extend life expectancy, but only about 10% of people qualify for this surgery.

It is indead rare for a younger person to get this type of cancer. Most people will be between 60 & 80 years old.
Apiatan

Postby Wacuman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:38 pm

Well it's rare to have pancreatic cancer at such a young age and this cancer is quite destructive, but there are advances being made to help lengthen the life expectancy of patients. Since he is young and probably healthy he might be able to live longer than most. Even if his cancer is inoperable, which most is, he could have radiation treatment or chemotherapy treatment. I hope the best to him.
Wacuman

Postby Berinhard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Actually to have cancer at a younger age is worse. Cancer cells are mutations of cells that do not do of any the functions of normal cells.
Another real malignant factor with cancer cells is that they do not "respect" the boundaries of other cells (as normal cells do) and they 'penetrate' them, killing them in the process.
Younger people have cell renewal that is far faster and better - unfortunatly that includes defective copies such as cancer cells.
It's for this reason why cancer at a younger age has usally a poorer outcome.
Older people can have cancer and survive for very long times (even outliving it), because the cancer (just like the rest of the body's tissues) grow and renew themselves so delayed...
Berinhard

Postby Priour » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:40 pm

visit here maybe it found:

http://canceratoz.blogspot.com/
Priour

Postby Conlon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:42 pm

pretty much. i know someone diagnosed with it too. but shes 78, so being younger is helpful.
Conlon

Postby Eudard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Canan is correct regarding younger patients having a poorer prognosis and yes pancreatic cancer has a very low survival rate. However, I have seen two cases in which the patient survived. In both those cases it was an incidental finding. Meaning they were not looking for it when it was found and the patient did not have symptoms. It was found by accident and found very early. So unless this gentleman was lucky enough to be in a similar situation he will likely die from this disease. I?m sorry.
Eudard

Postby Torence » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:44 pm

i'm so sorry, but its one of the deadliest cancers. my friend, older man but, he died within 2 weeks and they found it at an early stage..im really sorry..
Torence

Postby Apenimon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Unfortunately, over 95% of the time it is.
It's a very deadly cancer.
Sorry if you know someone who has it.
Apenimon

Return to Pancreatic Cancer