Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Question About Pancreatic Cancer?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby caerllion » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:06 am

So I found out my Grandpa from my dad's side was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer in June. I don't talk to them so I don't really know all the information, but I heard that this cancer is hereditary. I am only 20, but I'm wondering if I should still get checked out anytime soon? If not, then for future reference, when should I consider getting checked for this? And what type of signs should someone look for with this cancer in their family?

Thank you
caerllion

Postby Amram » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:07 am

Its not inherited
Amram

Postby Edorta » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:08 am

The reason pancreatic cancer is so deadly is because, depending on which study you read--less than 10% and some studies say less than 5%, of pancreatic cancer is caught early enough to save the life of the patient.
It's not caught early because there are hardly any or no warning signs in its early stages.
Your risk is higher with a family history of this cancer, this is typical for many cancers though.
A few ways to lessen your risk of this cancer though is to stay away from tobacco, maintain a healthy weight, exercise, eat fruits and vegetables and go easy on the alcohol.
Your grandpa's cancer could be due to his lifestyle choices and/or his age and not necessarily his genes.
So you may not have any increased risk than the average person.
Edorta

Postby Austen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:13 am

It is probably not something you need to get to the doc about, right away. You 'should' be seeing a doc routinely, like once a year, so it is something you definitly need to tell your doc about so they have it in your history. Every new doc you ever see will ask you about your family history and this is something to report.

Google the symptoms of pancreatic cancer and see if anything fits you. If not then just make sure you bring it up at your next appointment and let your doc advise you from there.

(even if you go in for the flu or something, tell the doc you want that information added to your history).
Austen

Postby Canice » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:18 am

So I found out my Grandpa from my dad's side was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer in June. I don't talk to them so I don't really know all the information, but I heard that this cancer is hereditary. I am only 20, but I'm wondering if I should still get checked out anytime soon? If not, then for future reference, when should I consider getting checked for this? And what type of signs should someone look for with this cancer in their family?

Thank you
Canice

Return to Pancreatic Cancer