Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

How To Deal With Mother's Terminal Cancer???

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby dakarai37 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:27 am

ok, so I just turned 17 in november. and we found out that my mom had pancreatic cancer in june and she had a whipple surgery where they took out a lot of stuff.

and now, she has to have a pet scan this week, they think that the cancer has spread to her liver.

I am so scared, because I am a senior in high school. She is all i have! I dont really have any friends, and i dont know my Father. I am not close to any of my other family. I just dont know what to do. II try to stay strong for her, but when she starts to cry, i cant help but to do the same because i know that im gonna be on my own at an early age. I am scared. And i need some coping skills.and any advice is helpful.

Thank You
dakarai37

Postby beornham » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:28 am

Yes...future sis in law went in to a coma. It was devistating but the Mom came anyway even though she was a wreck. If you should proceed with your plans, make the most of what you have and leave your emotions aside until you have private time together. It takes very strong people to do that and you really need to consider all the alternatives before continuing with your plans. Best wishes and I am sorry to hear about her taking such a bad turn.
beornham

Postby Nemausus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:31 am

Make sure you only take the psychological path. Taking the physiological path isn't good because it won't help you cope with things that are irreversible. This means, do not turn to drugs to help you reduce stress/anxiety. Instead talking to people could be more helpful because it could help you target the source of stress, rather than just the symptoms.

I'm free to talk whenever,

J.
Nemausus

Postby Birkit » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:34 am

SO SORRY! this is a terrible situation for you at your age

I lost my mother but I was 65 and it still hurt

go to the school councilor at once. you need help

Do you have a religious affiliation try there

Your biggest job is to be strong for her , tell her you love her and you will be alright.
She is much more scared for you than you are.

do you have any other relatives?

I am sorry to say that Pancreatic C is one of the really bad ones

Contact "hospice" right now, you cannot do this alone

honor her by doing the best you can in life.

I am not going to kid you, this is the toughest thing you will ever go through

YOU CAN AND WILL SURVIVE

good luck

e-m my icon if you like
Birkit

Postby Clint » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:37 am

I am so sorry to hear about your mum. It is a good idea to firstly go to your doctor and find out what support groups there are in your area that you may be able to get involved in. Also here is a website I think you might find useful. It's got information specifically designed for young people on coping strategies, dealing with stuff, and has forums, blogs and stories from young people who want to share their experiences.

Here is the link:http://www.nowwhat.org.au/

All the best and I really hope you find this post helpful.
Clint

Postby Enando » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:39 am

Im really sorry for your mom and she is definitely in my prayers! I know exactly what your going through, my dad has lung cancer-he was diagnosed my second year in college; and the emotional turmoil has been a roller coaster of hell..some things that are helping me cope hanging with friends, make some you need an outlet to express your feelings. par take in a hobby, it can really help take your mind off things at the moment, even though its brief, it does offer some help. I know your scared but just stay at her side, and watch a funny movie, or some comedy skits on youtube or something, this can help ease her spirit. most of all, keep her motivated and support her and encourage her to fight.. God bless you and your mother...
Enando

Postby Bohdan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 am

Assuming she has a Neuro Endocrine tumour, take heart: it's not necessary a death sentence at this time. People I know, have lived with this tumour ten and more years.

It typically starts in the pancreas and metastases to the liver. If the rest of her is clear - tests will show this, she has a good chance.

1: find a support group, ideally through your hospital, and join with her. go to their meetings and learn! you both must get involved in her care. knowledge is power!

2: check out this website: http://www.cnetscanada.org/supportgroups...

while it's a Canadian site, it lists on the lower left, under ''Resources'' US web-sites.

all the best!
Bohdan

Return to Pancreatic Cancer