Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What Are The Medical Uses Of Testosterone?

Discuss Prostate Cancer

Postby Hywel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:08 pm

I mean I know the medical uses of oestrogen like for HRT in women after menopause but am curious what are the medical uses of testosterone?

I mean excluding the use on transsexual people. I am an MtF transsexual so I'm on oestrogen and I know that is prescribed to me as an unlicensed medicine because it isn't designed for use in genetic males, so I just assume testosterone would be the same, but to be manufactured I'm assuming it must have some licensed medical use.

So what are the medical uses of testosterone?
Hywel

Postby emmery » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:16 pm

It is most commonly used in older men whose testosterone levels have dropped (either normally or following treatment for prostate cancer), but also in men who've had testicular cancer and have had their testes removed, and in men with disorders of sexual development (intersex). In the United States, that's pretty much all its really approved for, although it's also sometimes used in low doses for women with very low sex drives.

In some countries it is also used as a method of birth control for men.

P.S. Didn't notice when I answered that you're in the UK. I believe it is used in the same way in the UK that it is in the US but I'm not 100% certain. It's China that I've read about using testosterone for birth control.
emmery

Return to Prostate Cancer