Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

At What Age Would You Find It "weird" For An Adult Child To Still Be Living At Home?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

At What Age Would You Find It "weird" For An Adult Child To Still Be Living At Home?

Postby Adny » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:45 pm

I have a female coworker who is a college graduate, single, and has been working full time for about three years now in our company (making good money). She is nearly 27 and still lives at home with her parents and her dog. Is that weird, or am I just being overly judgmental? She went to college locally (for free, as her mom works there) and lived at home throughout. At what age do you think it's normal to finally want your own place?
Adny

Postby Winthorp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:46 pm

I think it depends on the circumstances. I am a 24 year old single mother. I am legally married to my daughters father, however he walked out and abandoned us when my daughter was 11 months old and has not been paying support. I have looked into every available job in my area (all minimum wage and part time) and none are worth the pay as it wouldn't even be enough to pay for daycare. I have just signed the papers in order to sell my home and am getting ready to move back in with my Mom because I have no other options. I originally moved out on my own at 20 and never wanted to move back but I have no other choice at this point, especially since I am starting school again in the spring. In the circumstance that I'm in I don't find it weird. It's not something I wanted to do and it's certainly not ideal but I am very grateful to my Mom for allowing me to stay with her and do what I can to help with bills and around the house knowing it may not be much at times.
Winthorp

Postby garmund » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Its normal for anyone of ANY age to still live eith their parents. Up to age 40 it would be easier paying all your things because you would split it in half than living by yourself . &past the 40's it could be your taking care of you parents, which would be around their 70s or something. So it really does not matter..
garmund

Postby Voisttitoevetz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:49 pm

well it depends on the situation some people lave at 18 or some might even stay at 30 ( max i would stay) but the average normally in their 20's
Voisttitoevetz

Postby Paulsen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:51 pm

I guess it depends on the situation but in yours, I would find it odd. Unless one of her parents is ill and she helps take care of them, or helps them financially.

My two brothers-in-law (ages 26 and 30-something) still live at home and pay rent. They both work full time making decent money and if they found a place together it would be very possible for them to make it. But the older one is paraplegic so finding a house around here that is already handicap accessible or coming up with the money on top of everything else to make it accessible is another story. They are both actively looking though.

I think a "normal" age for wanting to be on your own is 18-20...that's when I did at least lol. I definitely think by age 25 it's time to move out, especially if you're working and there is no other reason not to.
Paulsen

Postby Portier » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Over 21 seems odd to me.

There seems to be an age...early twenties, maybe, when it is optimum for kids to get out on their own and figure out how the world works.

I've known several people who did not leave home at that age, and they eventually became rather helpless adults, and could not function once their parents died.

I would put kids moving back home after living on their own in a different category....it doesn't seem to have the same effect.
Portier

Postby Anshel » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:56 pm

I don't think your being overly judgmental, its not very common for someone that age to be living at home still.
I don't think its that weird...yet, but it's kinda borderline for me.
By 30, I would def think it would be weird.
It would make me question their interest in independance.

Although that being said, not to offend ANYONE, but it could be her culture? I knew an italian man who was 34 and still lived at home because he wasn't married yet.
He said that it is really common for italians to stay at home until they are married...(idk, I'm not italian).
Anshel

Postby Denman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:01 pm

lol

27- 29 and UP is extremely late... lol
Denman

Postby Cruz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Well...

During the Depression it was normal for people well into their 40's to live with their parents, and for single women to live with their parents.
Read "Anybody Can Do Anything" by Betty MacDonald.
She moved back home with her mom, bringing her 2 girls, when her marriage fell apart.
Her sister was also living there, as well as the minor sister.
It was just normal, they all helped one another, pooled their money and resources, babysat for one another, etc.
It made things easier for everyone.

It wasn't until later (like 60's onward) that the idea that you want your own space if you're not married came around.
And sometimes I wonder if that's a misguided concept.
I know so many single-moms who would benefit from living with family, either sisters or parents or something, so that they had more support for their kids.

Maybe it's my perspective as well, since we live with my parents.
I want my own place, don't get me wrong, but my parents are 76 and 80 and their health is failing.
By us living here, we pay rent (so taxes and things are easier for them) and make it easier for them to live in their house.
My dad has fallen a few times and we've had to help him up, my mom injured her knee 2 weeks ago and couldn't walk so I was here to do her laundry and help with meals, etc.
And it's not always just the very elderly who may benefit, my husband's step-father has been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and may not have much time left.
My husband hates the idea that his mom is having to deal with this alone basically, and wishes we were there to help her out, do laundry, clean, etc, so they could focus more on fighting this.

So long as the parents and the adult child (or grandchild) don't have a problem and are getting along and have basic respect and such, then I think there's no real age where it's inappropriate anymore.

Add: I should also point out that when I have to take my kids to the hospital, I don't have to bring EVERYONE.
My mom can be told and she'll keep an eye on whoever isn't coming so I can focus on the one needing that emergency care, and every emergency seems to happen while my husband is at work.
Or if someone is sick and I have to run to the store to get something to help them then she can help me there.
If she wants to go to the store and we're going, we save gas as well as help my parents carry things in, if I'm out and they need their medicine picked up but are feeling sick then I can pick up their medicine... the benefits for both of us have really paid off over the years.

Add: Just to point it out, I disagree with the 'if they move out and have to move back home they're better off' statement.
The people in my family who rush to move out and then fall flat on their face and find themselves back home almost always aren't functional adults.
If they fail because they lose their job, unexpected pregnancy, something more out of their control that's a bit different.
Cruz

Postby Siddael » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:21 pm

If she's working who cares? Maybe she would rather save up money to buy a house instead of throw money away on rent every month and get nowhere. I wish I could have lived at home while saving money and then maybe my credit wouldn't be shot all to hell.
Siddael

Next

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials