Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Question About Cord Blood Banking?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby Wythe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:51 pm

I actually have to disagree with the post that said cord blood donations don't actually go to people.
I will fully admit some of it IS used in research, but some of that research actually does involve treating patients.

The stem cells in cord blood ARE adult stem cells.
Adult is a bit of a misnomer though.
The technical term is multipotent, as opposed to pluripotent, which are embryonic stem cells.

I am a leukemia survivor.
I needed a bone marrow transplant, but did not have a matched donor.
The cord blood contains the same type of stem cells as the marrow, so in some cases, cord blood can be used instead of marrow.
My transplant was part of a clinical trial, but it used cord blood that came from the donor cord blood bank.
Since I was an adult, they had to use two units, which interestingly enough, meant two different donors.
But cord blood matching is not quite as stringent as matching from an adult donor.
The cord blood used in my transplant was only a 6 to 10 match to me.
If I had used an adult donor that was only a 6 to 10 match, it would have killed me.
Even though both cord blood and marrow are adult stem cells, the cord blood is coming from a baby who will not have as many antigens as adults do.
The antigens are what makes matching difficult.

While you CAN donate to research, you CAN also donate to the cord blood public donor's bank.
In the US, it is ran by the marrow registry.
www.marrow.org.

All that being said, I agree with the others that I do not think you can do both.
Once the cord has stopped pulsating, there is usually not any blood left.
Wythe

Postby Elidor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:53 pm

I don't think so. You can delay cord clamping for a few mins and still bank the rest but once it stops pulsating I think you've missed the opportunity. call me selfish but if my turn comes to have another baby I will delay clamping until cord blood has drained into baby even though my hospital is one of only a few in england that do cord blood banking
Elidor

Postby roselyn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:54 pm

So as I'm looking at your questions that you asked over time, and I found one that SERIOUSLY interested me....

3 weeks ago, you where asking people to help you figure out if you where pregnant.

But now, I'm seeing on some other peoples questions that your saying your baby is due in dec, and that your 29 weeks along.

Just out of curiosity, how do you not know for THAT long that your are pregnant?

I just don't understand that.
roselyn

Postby Faxon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Cord Blood banking is usually a well factor in case your subsequent youngster or this youngster is wanting bone marrow, its now not used for cloning as the first poster mentioned. However, the fee could be very very very prime to financial institution wire blood for you possess use. Free to donate.
Faxon

Postby Konrad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:00 pm

The health and safety of the child is the first priority of the OB/GYN.
It is standard procedure for the physician to allow as much cord blood as possible to be transferred to the newborn prior to clamping and cutting of the cord.
There is sufficient blood remaining after the placenta is delivered (100 - 250 ml) for collection and storage.
Konrad

Postby mariel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:12 pm

no. it's really not worth doing it, and any "donations" aren't actually donations to people, they're donated to research, and so far the success rates have been absolutely shocking and the stem cells are too unstable. Adult stem cell research is doing more that's actually showing results. Tragically, a lot of cord blood is actually thrown out. If you really want to be kind, you can always donate some of your blood or marrow - there are options out there to donate it by having some shots and then donating blood. That could actually save lives. Cord blood donations won't. You could always donate the placenta - they use those for medical research. Or donate some breastmilk to the milkbank in the hospital. All of those options won't take away anything vital to your baby and unlike cord blood donations can actually help people.

What makes it not worth considering is that the cord blood is 25% of your baby's total blood volume, and is the most nutrient, antibody and oxygen-rich blood, and has the stem cells your baby needs for optimal growth. Babies who don't get their cord blood tend to do much worse health-wise in the first 6 months than babies who did get it.
mariel

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials