Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Creatinine Levels

All discussions relating to bladder cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Creatinine Levels

Postby Cinese » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Hello,

Last august, my dad(then 60) was diagnosed with invasive bladder cancer.  He decided to opt for surgery and was given a neobladder.  It has been a long recovery and now he is dealing with some kidney trouble.  He now has a creatinine level of 3.8, which is a big concern for his regualar doctor.  Is this a dangerous level?  what would cause this level to be so high , he was at 2.8 about a month ago.  

Thank you for your time
Cinese

Creatinine Levels

Postby Elhanan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Hello,

Last august, my dad(then 60) was diagnosed with invasive bladder cancer.  He decided to opt for surgery and was given a neobladder.  It has been a long recovery and now he is dealing with some kidney trouble.  He now has a creatinine level of 3.8, which is a big concern for his regualar doctor.  Is this a dangerous level?  what would cause this level to be so high , he was at 2.8 about a month ago.  

Thank you for your time
Elhanan

Creatinine Levels

Postby Colan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:31 am

This is a medical question, but here goes.

I am sure that this was explained at least to your dad.  He more than likely had chemo and/or radiation therapy which is toxic to the kidneys.

He is going into renal failure it seems.  The rough equation is for every doubling of creatinine your kidney fuction decreases by 50%.  In normal kidney function the creatinine level would be 0.6 to 1.2 milligrams(mg) per deciliter for a male.  Usually less in older than younger and so on, but a level of 3.8 is indicative of renal failure.

The table below is a very rough measurement.  A Urine measurement for Creatinine and Urea needs to be done for an accurate GFR(Glomerular Filtration Rate).

Creatinine Level   % of Function      1.0               100%      2.0                50%      4.0                25%      8.0               12.5%

Dialysis is usually started when people are less than 10-15%.  Earlier for the elderly and diabetics, etc..

I would think by now that he has been referred to a Nephrologist.

Your dad, as you know, has a bad illness with a very low survival rate.  I wish him well and you too!

Chuck
Colan

Return to Bladder Cancer