Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Intermittent Gross Hematuria W/ Clots 22 Yr Fem

All discussions relating to bladder cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby lindleigh » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:02 am

im a 22 yr. old female and have had no symptoms of bladder infection or kidney infection. had bleeding that was bright deep red enough and wiped enough to think it was period, until tampons were white and i still wiped blood. when i saw it was urethra during my self exam i went to hospital. did ct, blood work, urine test, found nothing. gave me antibiotics and hoped theyd work. the bleeding stopped that night before i even started antibiotics. 1 week later: today, started bleeding agian, this time heavier and w/ flesh and small clots are coming out, small w/ strings. pressure in pelvis area but not much. no other symptoms. more fatigue lately is all ive noticed and i have been having fainting spells or VERY dizzy spells for past couple months. on and off as well. VERY SCARED!!! i have 2 small children, 3yr and 1yr. that depend on me and i am their only hope, as well as they are my. very scared something is terribly wrong and i will die. please help me find answers!please
lindleigh

Postby Jacobo » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:54 am

Megan, there are many possible causes for blood in the urine(hematuria).  The origin of the bleeding can come from the upper(kidneys or ureters) or lower(bladder & urethra) urinary tract.  Blood seen only under the microscope(microscopic hematuria) is usually of a benign nature whereas gross hematuria is potentially more serious. With gross hematuria, it is important to note the relationship of the bleeding to the urinary stream.  If at the beginning of urination(initial hematuria), the source of the blood is almost always in the urinary canal(urethra).  If at the end of urination(terminal hematuria), the source is usually the bladder neck.  Bleeding throughout the entire stream(total hematuria) is due to bleeding that is initiated in the urinary bladder or upper urinary tract(kidneys and/or ureters).  

Some of the common causes of hematuria include infection, tumors, stones, and trauma(injury).  In order to look for the cause, it is necessary to consult a urologist.    A history, physical examination, urine cytology, and other laboratory tests are done.  Visualization of the kidneys by imaging studies(ie IVP, ultrasound, CT or MRI) and examination of the lower urinary tract with a cystoscope are usually required.  The normal CT you had(assuming it was a good quality study) generally will rule out upper tract diseases.  

In summary, consultation with a urologist is needed to determine the cause and seriousness of the hematuria. He/she will review your CT and determine if any other studies of the upper urinary tract are indicated.   At the very least a cystoscopic examination of the bladder is necessary.  Your other symptoms of dizziness, fatigue & pelvic pressure may or may not be specifically related to the cause of the bleeding.  Let me know how you make out.   Good luck!  
Jacobo

Postby Colan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:30 pm

im a 22 yr. old female and have had no symptoms of bladder infection or kidney infection. had bleeding that was bright deep red enough and wiped enough to think it was period, until tampons were white and i still wiped blood. when i saw it was urethra during my self exam i went to hospital. did ct, blood work, urine test, found nothing. gave me antibiotics and hoped theyd work. the bleeding stopped that night before i even started antibiotics. 1 week later: today, started bleeding agian, this time heavier and w/ flesh and small clots are coming out, small w/ strings. pressure in pelvis area but not much. no other symptoms. more fatigue lately is all ive noticed and i have been having fainting spells or VERY dizzy spells for past couple months. on and off as well. VERY SCARED!!! i have 2 small children, 3yr and 1yr. that depend on me and i am their only hope, as well as they are my. very scared something is terribly wrong and i will die. please help me find answers!please
Colan

Return to Bladder Cancer