Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Secondary Bone Cancer

Discussions relating to bone cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Secondary Bone Cancer

Postby Ziv » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:02 pm

my sister in law is 37 years old and was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago,she had her breast removed completely along with all lymph nodes.she was given the all clear after intense treatment and was clear for 2 years.she has now been diagnosed with bone cancer a few months ago  affecting her hips,she was told that this was curable but has only been able to have one session of chemo due to her low platelets.her platelets have fallen as low as 4 and now has platelet and blood transfusions every few days.she has been told she has lesions on her liver but nothing else has been said about these.she now uses a wheel chair as she is in so much pain and so weak,she eats nothing at all now as she has no appetite at all and supplements bloat her stomach and cause massive discomfort. she now has a yellow tinge to her skin aswell.she sees the consultant once a week and has a very good support network but she wont ask any questions because she feels she couldn't cope with the answers.she has been my sister in law and very close friend for 22 years and its totally heart breaking to watch her suffer.please tell me if we should still have hope or we should be preparing for the worst
Ziv

Secondary Bone Cancer

Postby beals » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:30 am

my sister in law is 37 years old and was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago,she had her breast removed completely along with all lymph nodes.she was given the all clear after intense treatment and was clear for 2 years.she has now been diagnosed with bone cancer a few months ago  affecting her hips,she was told that this was curable but has only been able to have one session of chemo due to her low platelets.her platelets have fallen as low as 4 and now has platelet and blood transfusions every few days.she has been told she has lesions on her liver but nothing else has been said about these.she now uses a wheel chair as she is in so much pain and so weak,she eats nothing at all now as she has no appetite at all and supplements bloat her stomach and cause massive discomfort. she now has a yellow tinge to her skin aswell.she sees the consultant once a week and has a very good support network but she wont ask any questions because she feels she couldn't cope with the answers.she has been my sister in law and very close friend for 22 years and its totally heart breaking to watch her suffer.please tell me if we should still have hope or we should be preparing for the worst
beals

Secondary Bone Cancer

Postby Kayin » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:54 am

If her breast cancer has spread to her bones and to her liver(so she does NOT have bone cancer, she has breast cancer that has spread to her bones) she is in principle a stage 4(IV) breast cancer case which at present is incurable. Even though incurable it is often possible to control the cancer with chemo therapy - though for the time being that is impossible in her case due to low blood platelets - or if her cancer was hormone receptor positive - of which I know nothing - with(anti)hormonal therapy or it may also be controled with radiation therapy(which also can be complicated by her low blood platelets). Actually if her symptoms from her hips are so severe I'm astonished that local radiation therapy there has not been suggested in her case. If indeed she is starting to become jaundiced her liver lesions must be quite severe. The need for regular blood transfusions also points in the direction of a quite severe case. All these things indicate that her condition is quite bad. And her prognosis is therefore also probably bad unfortunately. So unfortunately you probably have to prepare for the worst. I'm sorry I have nothing better to tell you! By the way, pardon this my question but what you wrote made me curious, was she only 15 when she got married?! Where do you live?
Kayin

Return to Bone Cancer