Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What Are The Survival Rates For Bone Cancer?

Discussions relating to bone cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby Vimal » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:44 pm

My granmother was jsut diagnosed with stage 2a bone cancer, she is in her early 70's and is starting a mild form of chemo next week. What are the statistics and some helpful information to help me know what to expect?
Vimal

Postby Antonino » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:45 pm

i believe age decreases survival length, especially if she already had pre existing medical conditions

my grandfather was diagnosed at 67 with cancer, almost 2 years later he's 69 and we had to rush him to the hospital today, he is showing the signs of a cancer patient coming to an end. having trouble breathing, very weak, awake one minute asleep the next 10-15.. he had other medical conditions that didnt allow him surgery, or strong chemotherapy

no one can really say how long she has though, they told my grandfather he had 3 weeks when they found the cancer. 2 years later he is finnaly going to be at peace
Antonino

Postby Giovani » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:46 pm

What type of bone cancer?

Are you sure this is a primary bone sarcoma and not a metastatic malignancy which is much more common?

You tell us "stage IIA" - but what's the grade?

Primary bone sarcomas are relatively rare neoplasms.

Approximately 2,400 new cases are identified annually in the United States.

Osteosarcoma is the most common malignant primary bone tumor comprising 30% of all such malignancies - but these affect younger people.
Chondrosarcoma is the second most common malignant primary tumor of bone.
The incidence is approximately half that of osteosarcoma.
Chondrosarcomas usually develop in middle-aged and older adults.

Mild form of chemotherapy?

That makes no sense for a bone sarcoma.

Are you sure this isn't a chronic lymphocytic leukemia instead?

You must provide accurate, precise information for an educated answer.
Giovani

Postby Claytin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:47 pm

the fee of survival for lung maximum cancers is regrettably very low and the unfold to the liver and strategies lowers their possibilities much greater, i'm afraid. How long somebody has, after this devastating prognosis, relies upon on many stuff. in basic terms a professional could desire to wager and that they are not consistently good. some opt to no longer supply a affected person a timeframe as they do no longer think of it facilitates the people in touch. additionally 'miracles' do take place. there are a number of circumstances the place somebody has 'defied' the percentages! in case you or a relatives member or all people examining this has won this records i've got self belief for you all and 'pray' you're given all of the affection and assist you like regardless of the end result. many people proportion this discomfort. i'm particular they're going to all pray for you. My husband replaced into in basic terms clinically determined on the commencing up of December and died on the commencing up of April. His had killed off one kidney and it replaced into spreading and starting to be right now. i'm grateful that for him it replaced into speedy and somewhat painless and that he died at abode as he wanted. As a care-worker i understand in basic terms too properly the suffering terminal ailment brings! As a member of a extensive relatives that has seen a lot of tragic deaths alongside with our very own loss of a toddler, i've got learnt to be philosophical approximately dying. I image them in a greater helpful place, and reunited, and chuffed. It eases the discomfort. I wish you all of the potential you like! My strategies are with you!
Claytin

Postby rodge » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:48 pm

Spreedog has provided a very complete answer that is far better than anything I can contribute.
I would especially emphasize the distinction between primary and metastatic bone cancer though, as that is the primary driver for prognosis in this case.
rodge

Return to Bone Cancer