Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Brain, Lung, Liver Cancer

Liver Cancer research, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Postby Heahweard » Wed May 25, 2016 3:28 am

My father is 77 years old, he was colon cancer patient on 2009 and Had surgery and chemo and recovered, cancer is back, discovered last March on liver, lung & brain- he's taking chemo tablets now Xeloda 500(8 tablets/day) after 10 sessions of Brain Radio therapy, CEA 860(maximum is 7), CA19.9 480(Maximum is 37), this test was on March before we started chemo, we made the test again after his first dose of chemo, the result is CEA 2554, CA19.9 437. My question is CEA can get that high over 2 months period? is this means he's not having the right treatment?
Heahweard

Postby Bple » Wed May 25, 2016 5:39 pm

As far as I can judge the situation your father is receiving the best available treatment. That does not mean that I can guarantee any good result of this treatment or any other. His prognosis in this situation where his cancer has spread to his lungs, his liver and most important in this case also to his brain is unfortunately very bad. CEA is related to tumour volume but also to other factors like how many cancer cells that die off at the moment of testing. Even if his prognosis is bad it is likely that his treatment has some - though temporary - effect. That can nfortunately, in this situation  have to be pessimistic. I'm sorry I have nothing better to tell you!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH

There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
Bple

Postby Edouard » Wed May 25, 2016 11:14 pm

My father is 77 years old, he was colon cancer patient on 2009 and Had surgery and chemo and recovered, cancer is back, discovered last March on liver, lung & brain- he's taking chemo tablets now Xeloda 500(8 tablets/day) after 10 sessions of Brain Radio therapy, CEA 860(maximum is 7), CA19.9 480(Maximum is 37), this test was on March before we started chemo, we made the test again after his first dose of chemo, the result is CEA 2554, CA19.9 437. My question is CEA can get that high over 2 months period? is this means he's not having the right treatment?
Edouard

Return to Liver Cancer