Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

High Bilirubin Count And Fatty Liver

Liver Cancer research, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Postby Tremaine » Mon May 30, 2016 5:38 am

My husband recently took a blood test and his bilirubin count was 32. He was earlier diagnosed with fatty liver last year so he took some liver supplements, he took them only for a month as the doctor had told him to at the time. He had also suffered from Jaundice when he was 20 which he completely recovered from at the time, he is now 30 years old. Is there anyway to bring his bilirubin to a normal level? And what are the risks that this poses to his long term health. Thanks
Tremaine

Postby Mahpee » Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 am

My husband recently took a blood test and his bilirubin count was 32. He was earlier diagnosed with fatty liver last year so he took some liver supplements, he took them only for a month as the doctor had told him to at the time. He had also suffered from Jaundice when he was 20 which he completely recovered from at the time, he is now 30 years old. Is there anyway to bring his bilirubin to a normal level? And what are the risks that this poses to his long term health. Thanks
Mahpee

Postby Nathanial » Mon May 30, 2016 2:29 pm

Hi Sindu,

Since I do not know his medical history, there is no way I can tell you what is causing his fatty liver. At 32, I am suspecting heavy alcohol consumption to be a factor or obesity. The only way to reduce his bilirubin levels is to fix the fatty liver problem. This is either by loosing weight and/or abstaining from alcohol with the supplementation of thiamin.

The longterm risks of fatty liver include cirrhosis and liver failure.

One of the most important things to check is if he was exposed to hepatitis B or C when he was 20. This would ultimately determine if hepatitis B or C also plays a factor in his liver degeneration.

Regards,

John Thai, MD
Nathanial

Return to Liver Cancer