Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Mother's Liver Cancer

Liver Cancer research, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Mother's Liver Cancer

Postby Carthage » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:19 pm

My mother is 86 and has bile duct cancer that has spread to the liver.  She is to start chemotherapy in a week.  Her symptoms are a sharp pain in her upper right side abdomen, extreme tiredness, sleepy often, loss of appetite, constipation and depressed.  She is not vomiting nor running a fever at this time.  Two questions.

1. Will the doctor give her chemo if she is in pain from the cancer?

2. In terms of life expectance, what can you tell us from above, is it weeks, a few months or more?

Thank you, Larry Thomas
Carthage

Mother's Liver Cancer

Postby Issac » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:11 pm

My mother is 86 and has bile duct cancer that has spread to the liver.  She is to start chemotherapy in a week.  Her symptoms are a sharp pain in her upper right side abdomen, extreme tiredness, sleepy often, loss of appetite, constipation and depressed.  She is not vomiting nor running a fever at this time.  Two questions.

1. Will the doctor give her chemo if she is in pain from the cancer?

2. In terms of life expectance, what can you tell us from above, is it weeks, a few months or more?

Thank you, Larry Thomas
Issac

Mother's Liver Cancer

Postby thain » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:25 pm

1. Her doctor SHOULD give her ALL necessary medication against pain. Especially in a case like this! Pain or its treatment should not interfere with chemotherapy.

2. With chemotherapy it is weeks to a few months. Without it only weeks. Both my parents died from this 33 and 23 years ago. No chemotherapy was used in those days.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH

There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
thain

Return to Liver Cancer