Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Lower Back Pain And Blood In Urine

Kidney Cancer Discussions

Postby Wulfcot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:35 am

I am a 36 year old black female who recently in the last month or so started having flank lower back pain on my left side. I went to the doctor and there was a trace of blood in my urine. I followed up with more detailed lab work and everything, including my kidney function was normal. The pain went away for a month, and now it is back and it is not responding to over the counter analgesics. What should I do next? What could it be?
Wulfcot

Postby Caraidland » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:15 am

I am a 36 year old black female who recently in the last month or so started having flank lower back pain on my left side. I went to the doctor and there was a trace of blood in my urine. I followed up with more detailed lab work and everything, including my kidney function was normal. The pain went away for a month, and now it is back and it is not responding to over the counter analgesics. What should I do next? What could it be?
Caraidland

Postby wanahton56 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Dear Kori,

I have an old saying.."back pain in the absence of fever is never from the kidney, it's from the back".  The main exception to this is kidney stone and the red flag for kidney stone is blood in the urine.  Therefore, I believe you need to be worked up for kidney stone disease.  You need to have a renal ultrasound exam to be sure there is no obstruction to the flow of urine then probably a CT urogram.

My recommendation is for you to see a urologist and if for some reason, no stone is found, then a nephrologist because if there is no stone, the blood still needs to be evaluated and he/she would be best qualified to do that. I bet you have a stone though.

Thanks for your question and I hope this helps.  Please feel free to follow up.

Sincerely,

Dr. Falkinburg
wanahton56

Return to Kidney Cancer