Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Genetic Testing For Kidney Cancer

Kidney Cancer Discussions

Postby Stanwic » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:02 am

Hello,     I just had post-right partial nephrectomy surgery. I had a clear cell renal cell carcinoma, stage 1 - grade 3(of 4).   I have a question about a report I received back from the hospital. It is a Genetic testing. Could you tell me what it means besides it is abnormal and what it means to me? Does it change the outlook or treatment? Thank you    Results: Specimen - Tissue-tumor Result 92.xxxx{8}/46.xx{22}

Interpretation: The result is abnormal. Of 30 metaphases, 22 were normal and 8 were 92.xxxx. These results exceed the normal limit for polyploidy(up to 6% cells). Tetraploid cells can be seen in a variety of solid tumors and are non-specific. Clinicopathologic correlation is indicated.   Banding Q/G Analyzed 8 Karyotyped 3   Banding QFQ Analyzed 22 Karyotyped 0

Band Resolution 400

Reason for Referral : renal cell classification, cyst adnexa What does all this mean? Thank you so very much for your time.

ANSWER: Well it means that your kidney cancer is more malignant than is usual. It has therefore also got the grade 3(of 4 possible, the higher the grade the more malignant). So in spite of the fact that it was only a stage 1 tumor(caught early) its prognosis is rather doubtful. Kidney cancers are usually not very sensitive to chemotherapy - though the situation is somewhat better now than before - or to radiation therapy. So the possibilities of adjuvant chemotherapy are very limited, but you should at least discuss such prophylactic treatment with your doctor. Good luck!

You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128     There is no restriction to the number of questions there.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Thank you for your quick, informative response. I have a question. The urologist removed the whole tumor. So do we need to be aggressive with our checkups to see if the cancer pops up somewhere else? I have an appt in a month with CT scan and other tests. Sorry for all the questions, I really like to prepare myself. Thank you for your time...

ANSWER: Unfortunately no one can ever guarantee that ALL of a tumor of this kind has been removed. That is why it is called malignant. With a benign tumor you can more or less guarantee that. Such tests are in these cases more or less routine. GOOD LUCK and thanks!

You can also reach me on: http://www.lifestylerescue.com/expert/health-fitness-advice/dr-claes-gustaf/128     There is no restriction to the number of questions there.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

My recheck in August went fine. Just 2 weeks ago I started to have pain in my back(like you are sleeping on a tennis ball), running a low grade fever. Just not feeling well. I went in thinking that I had an infection. They did Ct scan and found a adrenal nodule that is 9.8 x 11.8 mm. This nodule was not there in August. Do I need to be worried? This was not on the kidney that had the cancer, but the healthy one. Could they have missed this in August when I had the ct? Thank you so much  
Stanwic

Postby luigi » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:43 am

Anything - almost - is possible. To be sure what this is I do suggest a needle biopsy of this new lesion. It may be possible to do it with ultrasound guidance now when it is precisely known where it is. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH

There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!
luigi

Return to Kidney Cancer