Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

My Friend Says She Has Kidney Cancer?

Kidney Cancer Discussions

Postby Benton » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:17 pm

So one of my friends claimed at the beginning of the school year (august or September) that she had gotten kidney cancer. She's 15, skinny little thing, and in my full honest opinion she looks pretty healthy. She's taking chemo pills, and she claims the cancer is almost already gone. However, she hasn't missed a day of school, she doesn't look sick, and her hair is apparently healthy considering the amount of times she dyes. What's your opinion on her claiming she has cancer? Is it possible?

I don't believe her because of the amount or times she's lied about stuff like this before.

She also claimed and showed some of my other friends a scar, I'm not sure where, but she shower them.
Benton

Postby Nann » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Children can and do get some kinds of kidney cancers, and they are treated with chemotherapy and surgery.
However, this chemotherapy is not oral; it is IV and must be given in the cancer center or hospital.

I do have a few patients now attending school while being treated, but they do miss at least a half-day once a week to come in for chemo, and they also are pulled if their counts are low, because this time of year, schools are not safe places for immunocompromised people.

EDIT: Lo, some are known as kidney cancers and some are not.
The most common kind of childhood cancer affecting the kidney is Wilms Tumor, which is also known as nephroblastoma.
But kids can get other kinds of kidney cancer (much less frequently)- I've known children with clear cell sarcoma of the kidney, and even more rare would be a really horrible kidney cancer called renal medullary carcinoma.
With CCS & renal medullary, the kids themselves and the families usually refer to it as kidney/renal cancer.
But with Wilms Tumor, the proper name is usually used.

Surgery is nearly always the first thing to do, but all three of these cancers are also treated with chemotherapy.
Very early stage WT might not need chemo, but all of the children I've known with it have required chemo.

Even with needing chemo, though, it's definitely not oral chemo.
It's IV chemo, given in clinic or inpatient, and every single child I've known to have any of these kidney cancers has lost their hair due to the powerful chemo.

Regarding the terminology used, one thing I've learned is that no matter how many times we say the proper terminology, there are always going to be some families who just don't get it.
It can be a little frustrating, but I see it happen daily, whether it's about the proper diagnostic term, a procedure, etc
Nann

Postby Enric » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Holistic Treatments Reverse Kidney Disease - http://HealKidney.neatprim.com
Enric

Postby Kinnon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Somebody's lying...
Kinnon

Postby Daylan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Like most cancers, kidney cancer is a disease of ageing. 75% of people diagnosed with it are over 60, and it's rare in people under 50.

Surgery is the main treatment for early stage kidney cancer.

It isn't treated with chemotherapy; chemo hasn't been found to work very well with kidney cancer.

EDIT* Truesnapdragon has professional knowledge of childhood cancers and their treatment, so the answer she gives is the one you should listen to .

I do have a couple of questions, Truesnapdragon. Would those childhood cancers actually be referred to as 'kidney cancer'? .Might they be treated with chemotherapy alone, as the asker's friend claims hers is/has been (she has had no time off school), or would surgery always be the primary treatment?
Daylan

Postby Trey » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Liar Liar Pants on Fire!

She has a better chance of being a pathological liar tahn to have kidney cancer at 15.

wtf i added more to this; why didn't it show up?

basically it was a list of why not based on this page: http://www.medicinenet.com/kidney_cancer... not retyping it.
Trey

Postby Derald » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Derald

Postby Kieron » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:24 pm

So one of my friends claimed at the beginning of the school year (august or September) that she had gotten kidney cancer. She's 15, skinny little thing, and in my full honest opinion she looks pretty healthy. She's taking chemo pills, and she claims the cancer is almost already gone. However, she hasn't missed a day of school, she doesn't look sick, and her hair is apparently healthy considering the amount of times she dyes. What's your opinion on her claiming she has cancer? Is it possible?

I don't believe her because of the amount or times she's lied about stuff like this before.

She also claimed and showed some of my other friends a scar, I'm not sure where, but she shower them.
Kieron

Return to Kidney Cancer