Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Stone Prevetion Diet

Kidney Cancer Discussions

Stone Prevetion Diet

Postby Michon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:14 pm

How can I prevent Ca oxalate stones.  I get many conflicting food restrictions.

ANSWER: Charles

That is the wrong question. First it is necessary to identify the chemical risk factors via a 24 hour urine collection test for stone prophylaxis such as "Litholink". This will identify those chemistries that can be optimized. Without such testing, we can only guess.  In general, drink more water and eat less salt and meat.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

I have had two 24 hr urine test done. My nephrologist then tells me as you have, drink lots of water, lower my Na intake.  But I see so much conflict on which foods to eat. It seems that if a food is healthy it is bad for stones, if it's protein it's bad also.

What's left is carbs which are not good.  My rheumatologist said " what's better die of heart disease or stones".

I thought you would have a better answer.
Michon

Stone Prevetion Diet

Postby Rodolf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Charles

24 hour urine tests are notoriously difficult to interpret. There is no conflict withave reducing salt or drinking more water. Calcium and dairy need to be moderate: not too much and not too little. Uric acid and meat do not have to be eliminated, just adjusted and there are medications for it. Citrate level can be.optimized with pills. The only real conflict is with oxalate which comes from vegetables. There we substitute lower oxalate foods for the very high oxalate ones. If you.post your numbers for 24 hour urine Calcium, Volume, Citrate, Uric Acid, and Oxalate we can be more specific. It is certainly possible to eat healthy and minimize kidney stone production; we do it all the time.
Rodolf

Return to Kidney Cancer