Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

I Have Put Off My Smear Test For Too Long And Now Really Worried?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby Collins » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:43 pm

Im 33 I am suppose to have a yearly smear test as I had abnormal cells requiring laser surgery over 10 years ago, I also had abnormal cells during pregnancy 7 years ago that came right on their own.

Its been almost 4 years since I had my last test. I know that's irresponsible. I had other stuff going on (2 ectopics and a miscarriage) a laparoscopy and enough poking and prodding down there that I just didn't want to deal with it. Im booked in this week and now Im out of my mind with worry. Im losing sleep over it and have been looking up symptoms of cervical cancer. The only symptoms show up in advanced stages and they are irregular bleeding, pain after sex, back pain, loss of appetite and fatigue. I have 4 out of 5 of those symptoms. Has anyone got any information or opinions. Please?
Collins

Postby Egann » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Don't worry cancer is very treatable. My mom had stage 3 breast cancer and ovarian cancer in 1992 and is still here cancer free today.
Egann

Postby Deangelo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:54 pm

No, you should *not* be having Pap smears any more often than yearly - if that.
Follow up from CIN depends on the nature (degree) of the abnormality and has changed drastically over the last ten years; currently it is based on PCR testing (performed as part of the Pap procedure) and typing for residual HPV.
Half the population has back pain, loss of appetite (or excess) and fatigue, and either irregular bleeding or pain after sex would be pretty common too, so that tells us little or nothing.

In short, *have* the test and don't concern yourself until you have *facts* - which are almost certain to be favourable.
Even better advice - *don't* "research" cancer on the 'net if you *already* know what you need to do, which is to have the test.
Deangelo

Postby Boyce » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:57 pm

Try not to worry yourself, as those symptoms are general symptoms and may appear in a number of conditions. I'd definitely recommend getting in to your gyno for a pal smear ASAP though. You're supposed to have them yearly, and with your history, I'd say every six months for you.
Boyce

Return to Cervical Cancer