Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Hpv?? Still Confused?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Hpv?? Still Confused?

Postby Burel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:25 pm

i was diagnosed with HPV about a yr ago. i got a abnormal pap smear result and said there was abnormal cell activity (or soemthing along those lines). they say it was the low risk kind. and i dont have and have never had warts... does that mean i will be getting them cause i have HPV???

im supposed to have a colposcopy done (but havent got around to it)
Burel

Hpv?? Still Confused?

Postby emhyr » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:27 pm

It's common for women to have mild changes to the cervix on smear tests. There's a strong link between HPV and cervial cancer which is why you're being referred for colposcopy.

Sorry im not sure about what the test was for confirming HPV. Most women who have had sex will contract HPV from their sexual partner. You dont have to have visible warts to have HPV.
emhyr

Hpv?? Still Confused?

Postby Uli » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:28 pm

You will always have the HPV virus in your body once infected. You may not develop warts necessarily. If you had an abnormal pap smear you must follow that up as it may be a sign of a pre-cancerous lesion. Please get that colposcopy done ASAP.
Uli

Hpv?? Still Confused?

Postby Benton » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:29 pm

i was diagnosed with HPV about a yr ago. i got a abnormal pap smear result and said there was abnormal cell activity (or soemthing along those lines). they say it was the low risk kind. and i dont have and have never had warts... does that mean i will be getting them cause i have HPV???

im supposed to have a colposcopy done (but havent got around to it)
Benton

Hpv?? Still Confused?

Postby Elsdon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:41 pm

Women infected with the type of HPV that can cause cancer may first be told their Pap test results are abnormal.
Pap tests are the main way doctors find cervical cancer or precancerous changes in the cervix.

To find out for sure if the changes are related to HPV, a doctor may decide to perform a DNA test on the virus in women who have an abnormal Pap smear. This tells you and your doctor whether the HPV virus you have can cause cancer. Only certain strains of HPV cause cancer. Indeed, HPV 16 and 18 account for 70% of all cervical cancers. This DNA test is often given to women who have mild Pap test abnormalities. It may also be given as part of a routine Pap test to women over age 30.

If a woman is infected with a type of HPV that can lead to cancer, the doctor may suggest frequent Pap tests to watch for signs of abnormal cell changes in the genital area. Abnormal cell changes in the cervix are a warning sign of possible cervical cancer. The doctor may also do a test called a colposcopy, in which a special magnifying device is used to look closely at the cervix, vagina, and vulva. If a problem is seen during colposcopy, a small sample of tissue (biopsy) may be taken from the cervix or from inside the opening of the cervix (endocervical canal). The sample is looked at under a microscope.

The HPV virus itself cannot be treated, but often the body will clear HPV infection on its own. In most women, cervical HPV infection clears on its own within two years of detection.
Elsdon

Hpv?? Still Confused?

Postby Spangler » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:44 pm

HPV is nothing to freak out about. It can be devastating at first as it was for me because mine caused genital warts. Some strains can cause cervical cancer, but most likely what u have won't. I had HPV with genital warts about 2 years ago. I got a prescription cream from my doctor and the warts cleared up within a few weeks and never came back and at my next pap smear six months later there was nothing abnormal or any trace of hpv. If you have warts or still have abnormal pap smears you should use protection when u have sex with ur boyfriend, but hpv is not that serious and is nothing to end a relationship over.
Spangler

Hpv?? Still Confused?

Postby Staunton » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:56 pm

There are 100+ different strains of HPV. Some of them cause anogenital warts (these RARELY, if ever, progress to cancer), some cause cellular changes that MAY lead to cancer (but most of these do not progress to cancer), some cause no symptoms.

Abnormal pap smears are common. Your physician has, from what you described, identified the strain of HPV you have as a "low risk kind" --- which means low risk for cancer.

So, the strain you have may not be the kind that causes anogenital warts.

The other answer'er' is incorrect. The majority of HPV strains, especially those acquired at a younger age, are "cleared" by the bodies immune system within 18 months (which is why most physicians wait before treating to see if the infection clears up on its own). It is NOT always TRUE that once you have a virus you have it for life, though this is a common misconception.

HPV is a very slow moving virus....the average time from acquisiton of high risk strain of HPV until a detection of cervical cancer is 20 years (Am. Journal of Epidemiology, 2000:Mathematical model for the natural history of HPV infection and cervical carcinogenisis)

It is important to have colposcopy performed so that your physician can get a better/magnified look at the cervix and possibly, if needed, take a small biopsy. While you shouldn't wait to make an appointment to have this done, this is not an emergency situation that requires asap action. But again, call today and take the first available appointment.
Staunton

Return to Cervical Cancer