American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Does Anyone Know Anyone Who Is Obese?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby alfredo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Key facts

* Worldwide obesity has more than doubled since 1980.

* In 2008, more than 1.4 billion adults, 20 and older, were overweight. Of these over 200 million men and nearly 300 million women were obese.

* 65% of the world's population live in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight.

* More than 40 million children under the age of five were overweight in 2010.

* Obesity is preventable.

Raised BMI is a major risk factor for noncommunicable diseases such as:

# cardiovascular diseases (mainly heart disease and stroke), which were the leading cause of death in 2008;

# diabetes;

# musculoskeletal disorders (especially osteoarthritis - a highly disabling degenerative disease of the joints);

# some cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon).

The risk for these noncommunicable diseases increases, with the increase in BMI.

Childhood obesity is associated with a higher chance of obesity, premature death and disability in adulthood. But in addition to increased future risks, obese children experience breathing difficulties, increased risk of fractures, hypertension, early markers of cardiovascular disease, insulin resistance and psychological effects.
alfredo

Postby firth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Sure.
My bff has always been obese and we've known each other for over 50 years.
Some of people I work with are obese--one in particular went on Weight Watchers and lost about 100 pounds but then gained it and more all back.
My brother is obese.
It effects my life only because I like these people a whole lot, love some of them, and it worries me but they are all very very smart people, well educated, have been in a lot of diets so they have tried, so I don't do anything to try to get them to lose weight.
I know in my brother's case, he has decided that his love for good food and cooking is worth more to him then living a long, bland life.
firth

Postby Radford » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:48 pm

This is America.
How could anybody not know someone who is obese?
Radford

Postby Teo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Yes, several neighbours. Does not affect me at all.
Teo

Postby Jerrold » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:55 pm

yes, I don't have a problem with it personally but of course I hope they stay healthy ...
Jerrold

Return to Colon Cancer