Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Why/how Does Eating 5 Servings Of Fruits And Vegetables Plus Whole Grains Help Prevent Cancer?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Why/how Does Eating 5 Servings Of Fruits And Vegetables Plus Whole Grains Help Prevent Cancer?

Postby christiaan3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:02 pm

We are exposed to toxins.
We all know that. "They" say you need to eat at least 5 servings of vegetables (including legumes) and fruits each day, especially those with the most color (a sign of high nutrient content). These foods are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and many other substances that work together to lower risk of several cancers, including cancers of the lung, mouth, esophagus, stomach, and colon. Not only that, if prepared properly, vegetables and fruits are usually low in calories, so eating them in place of higher-calorie foods can help you control your weight.

What exactly does an antioxidant do for you.
I like vegetables.
Apparently my kids and my family do not.
How do I get them to like them if it is good for them?
christiaan3

Postby Quintrell » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Try mixing your vegetables with a steak or some mashed potatoes. Also try using some new cooking styles and techniques that are easy to find on the internet. As for the fruits, instead of giving them sugary treats, cut them up some apples or an orange. Try making them an extra healthy strawberry or mango milkshake. :) Hope this helps!
Quintrell

Postby Gaylord » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Anti-oxidants simply build and protect your immune system.
An example is this: When you cut open an apple and leave it out on the counter, what happens to it? It turns brown, right? Well, that is because the apple has been exposed to the air, or it has OXIDIZED.
If you protect the apple by covering it and perhaps refrigerating it, it won't turn brown so quickly.
Oxidative stress works on our cells the same way.
If we do not protect our cells with

ANTI-oxidants, our immune system becomes weak, therefore not protecting us against disease.
We remain vulnerable and wide open to illness.
A cancer cell is a normal cell that has mutated, due to a weak immune system.
If your familiy does not like veggies and fruits, try a whole-food supplement, such as Juice Plus (you can go to juiceplus.com and order).
It is literally dehydrated fruits and veggies in capsule form. For the kids you can order gummies.
It is your BEST defense if your family won't eat what's good for them.

Good luck!!
Gaylord

Postby Barthelemy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:06 pm

I'm not sure if I believe that antioxidants in food prevent cancer. The research is mixed. Cancer formation is a terribly complex process. How can you prove that the anti-oxidants prevent free radicials from effecting cell DNA?

However, eating a diet high in fiber may prevent colon cancer on a macroscopic level. The research on this is mixed too. The rationale is two-fold:

1) Bowel movements slough intestinal lining. More frequent bowel movements caused by a high fiber diet may be able to slough cancer/pre-cancerous cells before they can be are able to establish themselves.

2) Frequent bowel movements limit the time toxic byproducts of digestion stay in the intestines.

A diet rich in fruits, vegetables and, grains has many other tangible health benefits. They are a great source of vitamin C, potassium and, other vitamins and minerals. They have no fat or cholesterol so they don't contribute to heart disease, stroke, diabetes or obesity.

I'm not sure there is a reason NOT to eat fruits and vegetables other than being allergic.
Barthelemy

Postby MacAuslan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 pm

Cancer and other diseases are caused by something called "free radicals." Free radicals - found in our air, food, environments, etc... are atoms or groups of atoms that have at least one unpaired electron and are therefore unstable and highly reactive.
Free radicals damage other cells by stealing electrons from them making them unstable as well.
Antioxidants have extra electrons and work by contributing these excess electrons to free radicals stabilizing the molecules and preventing the damage they cause.
If you would like more detailed information on this I can offer it to you.

As far as getting your family to eat them, the best way I've found is just trying new things and finding what they like to eat.
My kids favorite is something I call "candy carrots" I steam carrots *don't boil - always steam if you can* I ad just a little bit of butter, a little bit of honey, and a little bit of cinimon.
They always ask for more.
LOL I know everyone's tastes are different so you can take or leave my candy carrots.
For more suggestions I reccomend going to:

www.kidshealth.org/kid/recipes

www.allrecipes.com

Hope this helps!

BigB
MacAuslan

Postby Muirfinn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 pm

You may want to consult this website: www.drfuhrman.com for some information/inspiration.
Dr. Joel Fuhrman is a physician who advocates a nutrient-dense diet full of the phytochemicals found in fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds as a measure to prevent illness.
He explains how, particularly in growing children whose cells are dividing rapidly, the phytochemicals strengthen the immune system and help prevent mutations and future disease.

His approach is very common-sense, not terribly difficult to follow and, IMO, certainly can't hurt (and most likely would help).
He has written a few books, including "Disease-Proof Your Child," which include kid-friendly healthy recipes that are easy to prepare.
That book includes instructions on how to get your kids to eat healthfully.
I feel like I have the most finicky kids on the planet, but they will eat at least some of Dr. Fuhrman's recipes and I'm trying to work more of them into our diet.
Best of luck to you!
Muirfinn

Return to Colon Cancer