Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Please Help!!! Should I Have Thyroidectomy Done Sooner?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby Gilley » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:34 am

I am 43yrs old female and was diagnosed with papillary thyroid carcinoma after a biopsy from a solid 0.8cm nodule. The surgeon said I need a total thyroidectomy and that we wont know anything else until after surgery. Surgery has been scheduled for August 20 cause they are so full. I am so afraid that during this time it can spread and be worst.

I really dont know what to do. Should I look for another surgeon? But I am afraid that by the time I look for another surgeon and make an appointment and schedule another date it will be late too. I am dying from the inside. It is so hard to wait. I dont know how to deal with all these. I cant sleep, I cant eat, I dont want to do anything.
I need helpppppppp I am going crazy.
Gilley

Postby Diolmhain » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:36 am

Denise really said what needs to be said. I do understand that it is a scary thought to have cancer inside, and that it would be preferable to have it removed as soon as possible. But as Denise says, it is safe to wait until the scheduled surgery.

You might consider having a face to face discussion with a doctor for reassurance. I have the feeling, that all the positive/realistic answers we are providing are not as helpful in putting your mind at ease as they should be.
Diolmhain

Postby Efrain » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:40 am

There are generally different waiting lists depending on how urgent the surgery is.

I had an agressive form of cancer and so my surgery was within days of my diagnosis.

If they thought you were at risk they would put you on a more urgent list than the one you are on.
Efrain

Postby Maed » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:41 am

You have been asking questions about this for about a week now and you have received a very good answer by JLI who happens to be a pathologist.

If I were in your situation I would have no problem waiting a couple of months and would not lose a minute of sleep over it...... and I deal with cancer every day.

These cancers are usually cured even after they spread and/or recur. And it doesn?t happen very fast.
Maed

Postby Eadelmarr » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:46 am

Papillary thyroid cancer is typically a slow growing cancer, so holding off a few months for surgery is likely fine.
Getting diagnosed with cancer is hard, and waiting is even harder.
You certainly don't have to wait until August 20th if you do not feel comfortable with your current situation.
You can seek out a different surgeon who will schedule you sooner.
Getting another opinion and hearing another surgeon say it's okay to wait might also ease your feels and anxiety.
I also helps to talk to other people in a similar situation.
http://thyca.org Good luck!!
Eadelmarr

Return to Thyroid Cancer