Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Thyroid Meds?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Thyroid Meds?

Postby Southwell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:01 am

I had Thryoid cancer two years agao had a partiL Thryoid removal wa son hormone replacement and recently about three or four months agao stopped taking the meds.. Anyone done this I am worried that it will come back now is it to late to start talking meds again. I dont feel any better or any worse not taking them really/ Just wondered if anyone has done this and there results.. I cant affor blood work or another scan to check if its came back so what do i do?? I am 47 yrs old and sometimes when i took the meds i got more tired well thnx~~
Southwell

Thyroid Meds?

Postby Tex » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:05 am

I had Thryoid cancer two years agao had a partiL Thryoid removal wa son hormone replacement and recently about three or four months agao stopped taking the meds.. Anyone done this I am worried that it will come back now is it to late to start talking meds again. I dont feel any better or any worse not taking them really/ Just wondered if anyone has done this and there results.. I cant affor blood work or another scan to check if its came back so what do i do?? I am 47 yrs old and sometimes when i took the meds i got more tired well thnx~~
Tex

Thyroid Meds?

Postby MacKinnon » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:08 am

Stopping your meds will not make the cancer come back. If the cancer is going to come back, it will do so regardless of if you take the meds or not. The meds are not chemotherapy. They're replacement thyroid hormones that you need since you only have half of a thyroid and it can only make half of the normal amount of thyroid hormones.

Now that being said, you need to take the meds!!! And you need to keep up with your blood work to make sure your thyroid hormone levels are normal. Worst case scenario is that you go into a myxedema coma and die from hypothyroidism cause by not taking the meds.
MacKinnon

Thyroid Meds?

Postby Griorgair » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:09 am

Thyroid cancer survivors are kept at hyperthyroid level in order to suppress the growth of new cancer cells.
If you aren't taking your meds there is a chance that your body will eventually try and start to grow these cells again.
I would definately takes your meds and also get your blood taken.
I get my blood drawn and it is only around $40 and that's with insurance paying.
I'm sure that it would be cheaper if you told them that you didn't have insurance.

Especially since you didn't have all of you Thyroid removed, you should definately keep up on your scans.
It is just as likely as a cancerous nodule will pop up the other side of your Thyroid.

Check into some governement agencies or Cancer groups that can assist you in paying for these necessary tests.
Good Luck!
Griorgair

Return to Thyroid Cancer