Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Do People Survive The First Stage Of Leukemia?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby MacEwen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:08 pm

MY girl friend was recently diagnosed with leukemia and doctors told that she was in first stage. I am really depressed and I really want to learn more about it. Doctors told her that it was a acute leukemia. Will she be cured? Doctors also said that the blood has grouped on the left part of her head. She is very weak. Her mom died when she was 3 months old she didn't grow up breast fed and she catches diseases easily. She has low immunity power. I am really scared and don't know what to do. Doctors are saying there is not much to worry about since its in first stage and its gets cured. I have been following up with the web sites and they usually show up the five year survival rate. What do u mean by the survival rate for five year? Does that mean people only live for five years? Please let me know and thank you!
MacEwen

Postby Bradwell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:09 pm

I'm sorry to hear that about you're friend. First you need to read everything on leukemia so you get a better understanding of the disease. I was diagnosed in 2004 with non-hodgkins lympha whick is a blood cancer also. I've read my survival rate was 8 - 20 years, with no cure. Keep reading the more you know the better off you are. I'm in stage 2, the staging is for how much of the body is infected. Treatment is out there and you have to stay on top of it. Have a lot of faith and pray. Must be positive as much as possible. Use webmd.com its the most informative web site. Survival rate is a guestament. Be strong for your friend. I'll pray for her.
Bradwell

Postby Roy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:10 pm

stage one is the best stage to be in. 5 year survival is how many patients will make it to 5 years after diagnosis.

Cured of cancer - that isn't what to look for at this point - that is the goal 5 years from now. First goal is remission.

Get in touch with the American Cancer Society or similar organization - they offer support to friends and family as well as patients. They can give you current, factual information about treatments and hospitals.

One piece of advice from helping my mom and an old high school friend through chemo - get lots and lots of popsicles.
Roy

Postby woudman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:12 pm

You didn't mention how old your gf is but here's some info on leukemia.

http://www.chop.edu/consumer/jsp/division/generic.jsp?id=79155
woudman

Postby Cleme » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:13 pm

Early Stages Of Leukemia
Cleme

Postby Pearroc » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Bottom line: Take your cues from the doc.
If he really said it's in a curable stage, then it is.

Also, when you're googling it, be sure you now which kind of acute she has - there are several.
But leukemia in general has a high cure rate for most types.
With cancers considered curable, the 5 years comes into play because if you go that long without a recurrance, you're pronounced cured.
Pearroc

Postby Albern » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:17 pm

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do people survive the first stage of leukemia?

MY girl friend was recently diagnosed with leukemia and doctors told that she was in first stage. I am really depressed and I really want to learn more about it. Doctors told her that it was a acute leukemia. Will she be cured? Doctors also said that the blood has grouped on the left part of her...
Albern

Postby emhyr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:20 pm

This is an easy one. If the world gets too hot, we've proven that we can survive it because the "Cradles of Civilization" were in hot, dry areas. If the world gets cold, then we've already proven that we can withstand ice ages, and that's without any "high" technology. If the world gets overpopulated, it will, out of necessity, balance itself out. I don't think we need to worry about surviving the next 100 years. The real question is how to we keep the next 100 years from becoming the next Dark Age.
emhyr

Postby Connlaoi » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:24 pm

well i like this question a lot. the good thing is that acute leukemia is the mild one. the first stage is really good, because they caught it early. don't pay any attention to the survival rate. if she has good doctors you won't need to worry. When my DAD was a KID he had leukemia. he had really good doctors. he was a strong boy and survived and has never had a problem again.

I wish her the best of luck. Always be there for her, pray for her and she'll make it through.
Connlaoi

Postby Albany » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:26 pm

this is going to sound rude but it isnt meant to be.

obviousl ysomeone has survived the first stage in order fo rhtere to be a second stage. be there fo rher and show her you care. she will appreciate it and you will become a better man for it.
Albany

Return to Leukemia Forum