Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What Are The Causes Of High White Blood Cell Count?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby Arlin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:20 am

About 5 months ago I went to the Dr with really bad stomach pains, I had all sorts of tests and it came back that my white blood cell count was high. So the Dr thought it might have something to do with my pains, so I waited a month, my pain had gone and I had another blood test. She told me she would ring if it was still high and if I don't hear from her it's fine. I didn't hear from her so i thought everythings good. Then yesterday 3 1/2 months later I get a vague letter from the Drs saying I need a repeat blood test, on the form it said reason,high white cell count.. So now im freaking out again. The first thing that comes to mind when you hear high white cell count is leukemia, but surely she wouldn't wait months if that was the case? I can't get a Drs appointment until next week so I was just wondering if anyone else has had high white cell count and why was it caused?

Thank you :)
Arlin

Postby hallbjorn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:21 am

Jade, I am sorry that your doctor does not better communicate with you to relieve your worries.
It is rather easy to diagnose leukemia from a white blood cell count and examination of the white cells under a microscope.
I've done it many times.
IF your doctor was worried, she would have immediately contacted you.
The causes of a high WBC count are very many, including stress, infection, allergies, etc.
What you can do today is to call the doctor's office and ask for a copy of the blood report for your personal home records.
It will/must be provided to you.
Normal WBC counts range from 4,000 to 11,000.
Leukemia counts may be anywhere up to about 100,000 or higher.
It's not so much the WBC count that makes a diagnosis of leukemia as it is abnormally immature WBCs in the blood circulation.
I think that it's a very good possibility you will sleep peacefully when you get your results.
hallbjorn

Postby Jesus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:26 am

"The first thing that comes to mind when you hear high white cell count is leukemia" -- The first thing that comes to MY mind is infection! It would have been helpful to know exactly what these two white count were.
Because there are elevated white counts and there are severely elevated white counts.
Without know what your labs were, I have no way to know if your doctor was justified in delaying the way she did.
The upper limit of a normal WBC is 10,000 (10) microliters/cubic millimeter and if you results were 12,000 (12) and 11,500 (11.5), respectively, I wouldn't rush to the phone to inform you, I'd take my time.
If your counts were over 20,000 (20), I'd call you right away.
This is why the actual results are important to know.

Other conditions that elevate white cell counts are allergic reactions (allergies, smoking, drug reactions, blood and bone marrow diseases, certain immune system disorders, severe physical or emotional stress, rheumatoid arthritis, and COPD.

You're going to need additional tests to narrow this down.
There are a number of possibilities, don't think CANCER!!! right off the bat, okay?
Jesus

Return to Leukemia Forum