Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can I Fly A Plane If I Have Had Chemo Therapy For Leukemia?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby ovid » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:45 am

The TIA will be much more of a concern for the FAA than the leukemia, but both may involve lots of additional red tape. If the leukemia is gone, that shouldn't be a problem. The TIA represents an elevated risk of CVA while in flight, so the FAA will need reassurance that it isn't likely to happen again. Because of your medical history, you'll need a special issuance of your medical from the FAA, but it's entirely doable if you are willing to trudge though all the red tape, provided that you're in good health today.

The FAA is mainly concerned with the risk of you being incapacitated in flight. Your objective is to convince them that this risk is extremely low. Best to talk it over with a doctor familiar with aviation medicine (but NOT an AME, save that for the actual exam), to make sure you know the proper protocol and procedures to follow to minimize the bureaucracy that you'll have to deal with.

Your medical issues might possibly interfere with a career as a commercial pilot, depending on exactly what you want to do, but you should still be able to get a private pilot's license and fly for fun in any case.
ovid

Postby dubhgall » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:46 am

If you can drive a car, have a drivers license, and have never failed an aviation medical exam, you can get a sport pilot license and fly a light sport aircraft. You could also legally fly a "part 103" ultralight aircraft. If you want to fly anything larger than a sport aircraft you would need at least a 3rd class medical. If you are taking any prescription drugs you would have to declare that to the doctor, and unless those drugs are already on the list of approved medications by the FAA, you would need a waver for them from the FAA flight surgeon.
If you have any doubt about your ability to remain conscious and lucid, please stay out of my sky. Otherwise, good luck!
dubhgall

Postby lendall » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:47 am

your health concerns while they are an issue from the standpoint of you flying solo across the united states, does not stop you from going to a small airport and paying for pilots lessons. My advice, is anything that gives you hope please do it with all your heart to the best of your ability. If you can take the courses, and pass the tests the only limitations are in your heart and mind. If you feel good enough while doing chemo thats the other thing, A trans ischemic attack is something you need to discuss both with your doctor, and with a potential instructor. I think the more people you tell, the more freinds you can make, the more who believe in you the sky is the limit. Will it be tough, yes, you will have good days and bad days I suggest you may want to find a pilot at a private flight school who can help you learn how to fly with another pilot alongside this makes more sense. Look in your heart, always keep the faith in yourself and your higher power and with some luck you may get to fly low altitude. Life is not fair man but we will all be equal someday God bless.
lendall

Postby Elvyn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:48 am

You have to pass a FAA 3rd class medical exam.
I would recommend you go in for the exam before you start learning to see if you can pass and what they recommend.
Then if you can't pass it- you can get a fast boat or a motorcycle.
Elvyn

Return to Leukemia Forum