Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Was I Scammed At Vet Visit?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby Cathmor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:14 pm

I took my 11mo old cat to the vet yesterday. I brought him in from outside and he needs to be fixed. I made an appointment to get all his shots done first and when I got there ended up getting only a rabies and blood work to check for aids and leukemia. They didn't mention anything about blood work before I brought him in. The results were negative. Were they scamming me for money or was it necessary to get this test done?
Cathmor

Postby Lockwood » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 pm

No you were not scammed that is common procedure and you should be happy your vet actually did it.
Rabies shot is the only shot required by law for your cat to have. But some vets require all shots before spaying/neutering. You can always go back and have the rest of the shots done.

Sometimes something in the blood can cause serious problems to arise during anesthesia.
Lockwood

Postby Howland » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Despite the popular belief that veterinarians scam people for money (I have heard it many times) most doctors simply want to practice good medicine on the pets.
The blood test is need for any unvaccinated outside cat with outside parents(even inside cats need the test in many situations).
I have had cats die during or after surgery to discover that the cat had a disease that I did not find because the clients would not allow any testing to be done.
But of course the veterinarians still get the blame.
So, the test was needed pre vaccination or surgery.
The diseases they tested for is deadly.
Howland

Postby Bjorn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:23 pm

i think you were scammed ... it is not the standard of care where i live to do pre-bloodwork for a routine neuter on a healthy, young animal ... the spca does not require pre-bloodwork, nor do four other vet clinics (from budget to the most expensive) require pre-bloodwork for a neuter where i live ... but the most expensive vet offers it ...
Bjorn

Postby Jarren » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 pm

No you should trust the doctor. If he told you "Oh, we need to surgically remove one of your cat's nine lives" then you should be concerned.
Jarren

Return to Leukemia Forum