Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

What's Wrong With My Cats?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby Chin-Mae » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:00 am

Okay so first cat: He's about 9-10 weeks old, and today we found him sleeping on a couch. His eye was bleeding and he had a small wound above it, and we cleaned him up and we at first disregarded it because we assumed he had just bumped into something and would then be fine. A few hours later though, he was still being very lethargic and breathing extremely quickly. 6 hours later he had been 100% fine, running around, playing, and generally being an awesome kitten. We took him to the Vet ER and had him checked out. He had a fever (103.8 vs. the usual 101-102) and tested negative for feline leukemia and AIDs. We were told he was a mystery and given a special food to give him with a syringe if he wasn't eating and that we should keep an eye on him to see how things progress. He was given a shot of fluids and antibiotics and he seems a bit more alert now (he was a complete, sleepy ragdoll for the four hours we were at the vets, and was still breathing extremely fast regardless). His eye started to drip what looked like blood again shortly after getting home. It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/twiIV.jpg

Second cat: This description is a bit more concise. She is a bit older, about 5 years, but she has been spitting up for the past week or so and today I noticed that her voice seems to be lost. She will sit at my feet and open her mouth as if meowing, but nothing audible escapes.

This is all happening at once, and my family is beyond confused. Does anyone have any ideas?
Chin-Mae

Postby ashenford » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 am

your cats are cats... that is what is wrong with them.

if they were dogs, all would be well
ashenford

Postby Nathair » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:03 am

by using the time you develop into attentive to a metamorphosis on your cat's habit the cat has been in misery for somewhat a while. No thank you to tell what's incorrect of course, vomiting is a symptom of many stuff, available poisoning. The diagnosis needs to made by using the veterinarian. To do? pass exterior and get the cat into the living house. Take the cat in to the veterinarian ASAP.
Nathair

Postby Denham » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:04 am

EDIT 2: I should also mention that both cats are strictly indoor cats. If this changes any of your answers, please let me know.

To the person that said that they should be dogs, you aren't funny or original. I've honestly been waiting for someone to post that response since I thought to ask Yahoo Answers for help a few hours ago. Go post it as a Facebook status and maybe, if you're lucky and someone hasn't been on the internet for 5-10 years, they'll chuckle at your originality and give it a like. I, on the other hand, would actually like some real opinions on keeping my pets healthy. My younger brother just got the kitten a few days ago and is extremely distraught. Thank you.
Denham

Postby MacAdhamh » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:05 am

for the first cat, it is possible he got snagged with the claw of the other cat while playing and it got infected and finally burst open (abcess) or he could have gotten bit by a spider. for the second cat, sometimes cats go through stages, i had a yr old female that went for at least a month throwing up every single night, just once a night, and other than that she appeared perfectly fine. she got over it and is still perfectly fine. she happens to be a, what i call scaredy cat, almost scared of her own shadow, and i think she goes through high stress periods and the high stress makes her throw up. sometimes cats will meow with now sound, healthy or sick, but maybe her throat is raw from throwing up. if she doesnt show improvement, and there is nothing to cause her stress, consider taking her to the vet. i hope both your kids recover quickly and completely.

i would like to add that unless the vet gave you something, i have successfully treated (with vets approval) abscess on my cats tail base using peroxide and iodine. being above the eye would make this hard to treat, so try putting neosporin on it.
MacAdhamh

Postby Etchemin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:06 am

I'm not really sure what is wrong with your first cat, maybe he accidentally somehow clawed his eye? Its really weird and he seems to be sick. Hopefully he gets better really soon, I hate seeing cats like this! About your second cat: have you changed your food brand? Sometimes that could disagree with your cat. My cat throws up when we switch back and forth from different food brands. He also has stomach issues as we were warned before we got him but my other cat who has no stomach issues also throws up from the food he eats.
Etchemin

Postby angvariationutoke13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:10 am

maybe your cat 1 has been in i fight if he is out door. he should be fine if the vet said so...cat 2 probably eats too fast and gets his tummy upset. get some cat grass so it will settle his tummy.. hope this helps
angvariationutoke13

Postby dutch24 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:14 am

for the first cat, it might have been bitten by something. either a bug or by some animal if you let it go outside. maybe its rabies? (i dont know)

as for the second cat she might have eaten something she shouldnt have. (certain plants arent good for cats.)
dutch24

Postby Bhaltair » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 am

As to your kitten, it could have been slapped by your adult cat and the wound resulted in infection.
The wound is probably just expressing some of the infection, but I would keep a close eye on the kitten to make sure he/she is improving steadily.
Kudos to you and your family for taking the kitten to the vet.

Your adult cat is probably stressed by the new addition to the family and is having a bit of acid reflux as a result.
Acid reflux will cause foamy, liquid vomit that can lead to a loss of voice.
There are really only two suggestions that I can give to you: 1. Take her to the vet for some acid reflux medication (*shudder* pill form), or 2. Spend time giving your adult cat extra TLC to let her know that she is still loved and wanted.

I suggest keeping them in separate rooms for a while and introducing them slowly, for a few minutes at a time.
That will give the kitten's wound a chance to heal before a possible confrontation with your other cat, and will reduce your adult cat's stress level from being "replaced."
Bhaltair

Return to Leukemia Forum