Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Cost Of Lung Cancer Treatment?

Lung Cancer discussions, another of the most common forms of cancer

Postby Drummond » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:32 am

I'm doing a research paper on lung cancer and I need the average cost of lung cancer treatment and the average cost of treatment from Roswell Parks Cancer Institute. Does anyone know what they are?
Drummond

Postby Gabrian » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:37 am

This is difficult information to obtain.
I doubt you will get a general answer.

Which type of lung cancer - small cell or non-small cell ?

Surgery is used for "non-small cell types" but not for small cells types.

Of course surgery adds greatly to the overall expense - tens of thousands of dollars.

The stage of the lung cancer matters too.

Is radiation therapy involved? That is tens of thousands of dollars.

If chemotherapy is involved - the expense varies greatly depending on which of the many chemotherapy agents /regimens are used.
Some of the new ones are very expensive.

More tens of thousand of dollars.

Costs have been escalating astronomically in the past ten years since I retired from cancer medicine.
Pharmaceutical company charges have become out of this world for the newer chemotherapy agents.
Greed seems to be rampant at the corporate level.

- - -

If I had to guess - and this is based on what I have learned from "Dave" on this site - the current cost would be somewhere between $100,000 and $200,000 - or could be higher.
The sad part is, we only cure one person in seven (~15%) who has a primary lung carcinoma in the USA despite all of this expense.
Much better to prevent them.
If people would not smoke cigarettes, about 90% of lung carcinomas could be avoided in the first place.
Lung cancers from cigarette smoking cause over 31% of all cancer deaths in the U.S. - and they could have been prevented.
Gabrian

Postby Leroy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:42 am

decrease back whilst quite a few those previous timers all started smoking, that they had no concept what the implications may well be. they only did no longer understand the main cancers threat etc..... Nowdays, all and sundry is familiar with what the consequences of tobbacco abuse is and we nevertheless have those dumb asses accessible attempting to evangelise that they have got the final to smoke in the event that they so desire. GET actual! people who smoke are insured and that they value the persons on the insurance plans who do no longer smoke dearly to pay for the people who smoke well being care issues including inhalers that value thousands of greenbacks and repeated hospitalizations via fact they have respiratory issues and cancers appropriate to smoking. i think of a people who smoke scientific well being insurance could value approximately 4 circumstances what a non people who smoke scientific well being insurance value. Its no longer that non people who smoke have not got well being issues, they do, yet no longer just about as undesirable a people who smoke. Come artwork with me. I administer chemo to people of their 30's with lung maximum cancers who've smoked in view that they have been 10. The information won't be able to be denied.
Leroy

Return to Lung Cancer