Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Bladder Cancer

All discussions relating to bladder cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Bladder Cancer

Postby Canice » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:35 pm

My father: 69 years old.  History: Hematuria started 1 year ago with no follow-up(stopped by itself - thought it was a UTI).  Transurethral Resection of the Tumor was performed 1 1/2 week ago. Father feels great. Here are the biopsy results:

-------------------------

1 gram of soft grayish tissue

PIT/1 block

Microscope:

Specimen included fragments from papillary urothelial tumor.  The latter is endo and exophytic characterized by either slender of large coalescent papillae, lined by neoplastic urothelium, exhibiting mild to moderate anisonucleosis with increase of nuclear cytoplasmic ratio.

The polarity is either well preserved or slightly disturbed at the lower layers.

Mitoses are observed with the deep layers.  Three is no infiltration of the lamina propria and the muscularis propria is not represented.

Diagnosis:

Papillary urothelial carcinoma of low grade of malignancy.  Grade: G2(WHO/ISUP98)(WHO73).  

Non infiltrating stage.

----------------------------

What does all this mean?  The urologist said to not worry about it - it looks good(?)  My father will undergo CT scan next week to be safe(?) as the dr. says.  I don't get it - my father was told its benign but I am reading black on white "Low grade of malignancy" so it is a beginning of cancer isn't it?  How can they be sure they got everything out of his bladder... he is not doing any treatment right now following the surgery - how can we be sure a leftover cell doesnt wander around & develops into something more invasive? What is your opinion on the biopsy results & what would you recommend doing next?(and then what?...)  

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.  My father lives overseas & I am very concerned(not being able to sit by him & ask the doctor all these questions...
Canice

Bladder Cancer

Postby Chonen » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:59 pm

papillary urothelial carcinomas of the bladder are usually not life-threatening and can be managed with surgery and sometimes with putting chemotherapy or BCG into the bladder.  It isn't "benign" as such, but if the characteristics are as such(not infiltrating the lamina propria, etc) it isn't a major problem, but more of a nuisance.  You father needs to get a check up(meaning a cystoscopy) every now and then.  It is very unlikely that this problem will become more invasive, although it can grow back.
Chonen

Bladder Cancer

Postby Barthelemy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:46 pm

My father: 69 years old.  History: Hematuria started 1 year ago with no follow-up(stopped by itself - thought it was a UTI).  Transurethral Resection of the Tumor was performed 1 1/2 week ago. Father feels great. Here are the biopsy results:

-------------------------

1 gram of soft grayish tissue

PIT/1 block

Microscope:

Specimen included fragments from papillary urothelial tumor.  The latter is endo and exophytic characterized by either slender of large coalescent papillae, lined by neoplastic urothelium, exhibiting mild to moderate anisonucleosis with increase of nuclear cytoplasmic ratio.

The polarity is either well preserved or slightly disturbed at the lower layers.

Mitoses are observed with the deep layers.  Three is no infiltration of the lamina propria and the muscularis propria is not represented.

Diagnosis:

Papillary urothelial carcinoma of low grade of malignancy.  Grade: G2(WHO/ISUP98)(WHO73).  

Non infiltrating stage.

----------------------------

What does all this mean?  The urologist said to not worry about it - it looks good(?)  My father will undergo CT scan next week to be safe(?) as the dr. says.  I don't get it - my father was told its benign but I am reading black on white "Low grade of malignancy" so it is a beginning of cancer isn't it?  How can they be sure they got everything out of his bladder... he is not doing any treatment right now following the surgery - how can we be sure a leftover cell doesnt wander around & develops into something more invasive? What is your opinion on the biopsy results & what would you recommend doing next?(and then what?...)  

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.  My father lives overseas & I am very concerned(not being able to sit by him & ask the doctor all these questions...
Barthelemy

Return to Bladder Cancer